Options

Streaming/TV devices

Well I have "Cut the cord" from cable tv service for 12 months now and love it. I have a couple of Roku 3's that I use at home and was wondering if anyone uses a streaming device on the road. I'm sure you have to have cable hookup at the park in order to stream. Just wondering if it is really beneficial, don't like to really be tied to watching tv while camping. Thoughts? 
M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2015
    Lark, tell us what you use at home for service, what products you use, and why, please. Novice here at streaming and cutting the cord.  And, yes, how this can be used while camping.

I carry a DVD wallet with over 100 DVD's for those cold Arizona nights and rainy days. I also have a Tailgater portable satellite and receiver to watch cable TV and basketball. I had problems remaining within my data plan limits, and I need to make better use of Wi-Fi service when I find it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Verna- You still have to have a provider for internet without the tv service. I went from paying 230.00 a month to 89.00 a month. You must purchase your streaming device (i.e. Roku, Apple tv, Amazon fire,etc). Then you can purchase subscriptions to channels or use free ones. There are ones like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and one called Sling TV. With sling it is live tv with selections of channels you can sign up for. Why did I choose the products I use....the Roku 3 seemed to be more user friendly and I liked the small size of the unit. They have a forum also!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Streaming devices rely on an internet connection rather than a cable "TV" connection - Correct?
  • Options
    Yep! Do most park sites that have a cable hook up only have TV service? With streaming devices you can receive wireless signal but I hear most signals are not very robust at camp sites.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Streaming devices rely on an internet connection rather than a cable "TV" connection - Correct?
    Correct.

Do any of the available streaming devices allow for offline use? I have used my Surface Pro 3 to download movies and TV from the Microsoft (Xbox) video service and then use a wireless display adapter (Miracast) to watch on the TV and through the Jensen or stream music. The bonus is that it allows me to use the TV as a monitor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Do any T@Bbers use a flat panel antenna like this one to pick up local HD stations? http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Indoor-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIO8E
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Jenn- does this count against your minutes from your service provider? Offline use?
  • Options
    photomom- This is the one I use. Works great!
  • Options
    I've only been in one campground that had internet service (a National Monument). But I don't stay in commercial campgrounds like a KOA so can't speak to those. In my travels the only way I have internet service is through my cell phone, hitting a library, coffee shop, or other commercial venue. If I want a movie or something, I download it there for later viewing. Streaming services for me are out, it has to be a download. Streaming can just eat up a data plan quickly if you don't closely monitor it.
  • Options
    Jenn- Are you just downloading movies to your computer and then playing through the Jensen system? If so then I get your "Offline" question. Some streaming devices have a data storage device, but what would be the point of using that....you have your computer. I was most concerned with watching live tv (i.e. College football on ESPN Now via Sling tv). But if their cable service has ESPN, then that works for me! Just like to have options.
  • Options
    LARK said:
    Jenn- Are you just downloading movies to your computer and then playing through the Jensen system? If so then I get your "Offline" question. Some streaming devices have a data storage device, but what would be the point of using that....you have your computer. I was most concerned with watching live tv (i.e. College football on ESPN Now via Sling tv). But if their cable service has ESPN, then that works for me! Just like to have options.
    Correct. As a matter of fact, I have been scouting for locations with WiFi in Silverton so I can stream my nephew's college football game while I am out west on ESPN3. I think watching 2 hours of TV streaming over data to another device is going to super expensive unless there is a way to decrease the video quality. I think you can with Netflix. Live TV would use less data on your phone. I think in @Verna's case, since she wants to catch lots of games, satellite is the way to go, or find a good sports bar that will let you tune into your channel, there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PXLated said: Streaming can just eat up a data plan quickly if you don't closely monitor it.

Oh yes it sure can. I used my "Myfi" to stream a college football game and used nearly 4 gig for one half of the game! What a rip off data plan minutes are!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    LARK said:
    photomom- This is the one I use. Works great!

Lark - what antenna is that one?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    @Skwhee was going to show me how to put movies on a flash drive with some software, but we never could seem to spend enough time together at Tearstock.  Hopefully they will join this discussion because they have a lot of video knowledge.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Mickietucs asked: Lark - what antenna is that one?
    ClearStream 2V Long-Range HDTV Antenna

Just was at Uwharrie NF and got 30+ channels. I believe the nearest stations were 40+ miles away, plus LOS (line of site) was encumbered from the forest.

I use a 17 ft. painters fiberglass pole to hoist it up. Has ALWAYS worked for me.

It is $99.00 though!
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Funny that this topic came up. I am working on using an Android computer on a stick that connects to the HDMI input on the TV. My goal is to digitize my DVD's and make them available when a WiFi signal is not available. I will also install Netflix and Amazon to stream content. I am lucky that I have a grandfathered data plan on my phone that allows me unlimited data so I sometimes use my phone as source of streaming if I can get a decent signal. I will make a write up and post it when I finish the project.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    LARK said:
    Mickietucs asked: Lark - what antenna is that one?
    ClearStream 2V Long-Range HDTV Antenna

Just was at Uwharrie NF and got 30+ channels. I believe the nearest stations were 40+ miles away, plus LOS (line of site) was encumbered from the forest.

I use a 17 ft. painters fiberglass pole to hoist it up. Has ALWAYS worked for me.

It is $99.00 though!
    I am thinking height is #1 factor here.

• Options
    Height and the fact that it's a 50 mile range antenna.
    Lark - AC powered?
  • Options
    PX- No, it's not a powered one.
  • Options
    Lark - thanks for that info which I'll tuck away when I finish outfitting and organizing my T@B. I know Jenn manufactured something to hold the pole to one of the handles. Did you also do that? Pic?

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We always struggle to keep up with the weather and news when we're camping (if and when the zombie apocalypse happens it would be nice to get some warning). Lark's antenna looks useful. I assume I'd just run coax from it to the cable connection on the T@B? We'd probably want to take it down in a lightning storm, right?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Mickietucs- I haven't done that yet...I just tie it to the handle. Seems to work just fine.

Photomom- LOL "Zombie Apocalypse".....although a disease apocalypse could happen. Yep, just attach cable connection. To be on the safe side you could take it down or lower it to possibly still get weather report. I always bring a weather radio also.
  • Options
    LARK said:
    Mickietucs- I haven't done that yet...I just tie it to the handle. Seems to work just fine.

Lark - did you use the "J mount mast" and also the base and somehow attached that to the pole (I couldn't tell from your picture) or instead of that J mast, the pole would go in there?

• Options
    Mickie- Not sure what a "J mount mast" is? That yellow pole is a painters pole you can get from HD or Lowes. I was checking yard sales for and umbrella base to hold the base in place if the winds got up.
  • Options
    Mickie- If you click on the attachment file (i.e. site 1.jpg) underneath the picture, it should show a larger picture.
  • Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    larrygon said:
    Funny that this topic came up. I am working on using an Android computer on a stick that connects to the HDMI input on the TV. My goal is to digitize my DVD's and make them available when a WiFi signal is not available. I will also install Netflix and Amazon to stream content. I am lucky that I have a grandfathered data plan on my phone that allows me unlimited data so I sometimes use my phone as source of streaming if I can get a decent signal. I will make a write up and post it when I finish the project.
    I'm looking into this as well...would be interested in how you progress.  Lugging around DVD's with high potential for them to get scratched (especially while camping) makes this a worthwhile effort.  Most camping I do is void of wifi and very weak 4G/3G signal.  Best solution for me is to have all my media on a portable hard drive that I can choose to watch at home or in the t@b.  Keep the DVD's locked up in case of HD meltdown.
    2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    We use a USB to HDMI video out adaptor for an iPad (or MacBook Air) and play movies saved on whichever device is attached. It also works for Netflix (or other streaming) if the cell connection is good and if data use isn't an issue. I think PXL does something similar
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    I am going to have to find the name of the program that will copy movies to a flash drive or hard drive.  Just plug it into the USB port on the Jensen and it appears on the TV screen.  It worked because Sunny Day got to watch an old John Wayne movie while the humans were attending one of the Tearstock evening functions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    I just unplugged at home!  We unplugged satellite the entire summer but needed football and basketball coverage.  Sling TV is awesome and has a deal with free ROKU stick.  Of course it uses Internet to stream, but it is LIVE TV. 
    Free Wifi @ campgrounds has never work for me, too many people for the package they purchase.
    My GE flat screen antenna works well and the only time we watch TV is when husband has a weather panic.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    edited August 2015
    LARK said:
    Mickie- Not sure what a "J mount mast" is? That yellow pole is a painters pole you can get from HD or Lowes. I was checking yard sales for and umbrella base to hold the base in place if the winds got up.
    Lark - When I looked at it on Amazon there was a PDF of the manual. Opening that I was looking at how it is to be assembled and part of the actual device is a piece that kind of looks like a "J" - the top of it is attached to the actual antenna part and the bottom is normally attached to a base (that would screw onto a roof if it is mounted that way). I wondered if you put the painter's pole in place of the "J". Looks a little like this below. I clicked on your picture but the top of the antenna was hard to see as it was obscured by the trees. Thanks!
    Outdoor Antenna Mast Universal J-Pole with Mount Kit J-2012