Options

Door lock on 2022 320S

DBoondockerDBoondocker Member Posts: 9
Hi,
the door lock on my 2022 320S does not keep the door all the way in the frame. When I pull on the door after it is locked, it pulls out about 1/4”. I am afraid someone could get a crowbar in there and destroy the door as well as get in. Does anyone else have this problem? How can it be fixed? I understand some people have been unable to unlock their Tabs so I don’t want to fool around with it and risk that happening.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited May 2023
    If I understand you correctly, my 2015 does the same thing. The latch itself will hold the door tightly closed, but if you pull the handle while the deadbolt is engaged, the door pops out a bit.
    Do you have a second lock that disengages the latch handle? If so, locking both might solve the problem.
    Personally, I've never worried to much about it. If somebody wielding a crowbar wants in, I think they'll get in one way or another...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DBoondockerDBoondocker Member Posts: 9
    Haha! Yes, you are right. I’m sure these thing are pretty easy to get into if someone tries hard enough. Thanks for the reply, at least I know I’m not the only one. Happy camping!
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    edited May 2023
    Hi, 

There is a fix that will help.  If you remove the latch part off the door, you can put some thin washers behind it on the screws that secure it.  It’s a bit tricky to get the washers to stay while you reassemble, I’ve used a small amount of Vaseline to get them to stay in place while assembling.  This will help push out the latch for better engagement. Do a search and you find a write up.  I’m out traveling and our connection is poor so it’s hard for me to find.  I’ve done this fix and it helps…
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I understand some people have been unable to unlock their Tabs so I don’t want to fool around with it and risk that happening.
    And this is a good point. Makes me wonder if the bit of slack is intentional in order to keep pressure off the deadbolt (and its associated linkage and lock) when the deadbolt is engaged.
    On a related note, I noticed recently that the key lock was getting hung up a bit when I tried to unlock the door. A little silicone spray seems to have resolved the problem, but it makes me wonder how robust the guts of that door latch mechanism are. I think I like having the pressure off the deadbolt when I'm trying to work the key in the lock. YMMV!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I can't think of much worst than being locked out of my T@B! I never lock it instead have a very loud alarm if door is opened or trailer is moved. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    edited May 2023
    Hi, I understand your  concern , but I added the washers over 180 nights of camping/traveling ago and have never had an issue.  That’s a lot of open and door closings…good luck.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    My 2021 loosened up a bit over time. Before you get into washers, I found the latch was not fully engaging and after loosening the 4 screws holding the door frame side of the latch. I moved it out (not to the inside) and it allowed the latch to more securely hold the door. Your problem may be different, but this fixed mine.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network