Options

Floor warping

Hello everyone. 

I have recently purchased a 2022 tab 320 boondock. 

I have noticed my floor starts to bow in the middle when I fill my fresh water tank. It is very noticeable starts to make popping noises as it warps.  When I look under the trailer the material that covers the bottom is also all warped. I am assuming this is caused by the fresh water tank ballooning up. 

When I try to drain using the freshwater low point drain it only drain about 1/4 of the tank.  I’ve tried different angles but makes no difference. I’m guessing this is a venting problem. 

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem. 

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    When you fill the tank does water spill out of the overflow on the fresh water tank? This will be obvious as it just will spill from the bottom of the trailer. 

The only way the tank can deform is if that overflow drain is somehow clogged which wouldn't allow air or water to escape...but you'd also not be able to fill the tank much due to the trapped air. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    DarcyDarcy Member Posts: 6
    Manyman297. 
    Thank you for your response.  I was watching the blue overflow tube for water when filling.   No water ever came out of it despite the gage saying  the tank was full. 

I agree the over flow tube is probably clogged or was never hooked up properly at the factory.

the only way I could get the rest of the water out was to use the faucets. The floor went back to normal when the tank was near empty. 

I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership to replace a hinge on my stove top as that does not stay up.   I’ll have them also look into the water tank issue while it’s there. Just hope it’s an easy and fast fix. 

Will update with what the dealership says. 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Yikes. Yeah, I bet they didn't install the overflow assembly or it's clogged somehow. It is odd that the gauge would say full though. I don't even know how you'd be able to fill the tank with water. The Nautilus forms an airtight seal unlike most fresh water spouts that you simply put a hose into with room for air to escape. Maybe there's a small hole where just enough air can escape. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    TBurtonTBurton Member Posts: 2
    Do you have mud daubers (mid wasps) in your area? They can construct a nest that would plug a hose outlet quite easily. Possibility. 
  • Options
    TBirton. 
    Checked all the drain tubes this morning before bringing it to the dealership. They were all clear from what little I could see. No mud daubers. 

Dealership said could be a couple of weeks before they could look at it. 

• Options
    TBirton

Winner winner chicken dinner. The dealership just called and said the drain tube was clogged with mud daubers.   They were so far up the drain tube they had to disassemble it to clear it out.  Could not see the clog by just looking underneath. 

Going forward I’ll probably cover the vent tube when it’s not in use. Just have to remember to remove the cover before using it. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Glad it’s resolved and you didn’t split your floor open! We don’t have a mud dauber issue where I live but I still feed a thin wire up the vent every so often and when I fill the tank I always feel for cool air coming out of the vent.  It’s very faint but I can feel it. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited June 2023
    During 2021 vain efforts to fully drain or compressed air evacuate tank,  added a Sharkbite (push on) 1/2" brass ball valve to the overflow drain pex hanging under the trailer.  Critical to open for trips, otherwise closed to keep out insects.

Our 2021 320 boondock fresh tank cannot be fully drained after two hours via the 1/4" I'd side Brass valve.  Mounted too high and tank belly is deformed hanging below the two 1" strap supports.
    Would practically have to stand camper on end.  We are forced to pump tank contents to Grey water six or eight complete flushes taking half a day, to achieve reasonable dilution of remnant polyethylene glycol, and only drink pitcher filtered water.

Nucamp needs to mount a full 3/4 ID bulkhead tank drain, bottomside, and properly support tank with continuous angles.

See photo- why did they buy and install two curved strap supports designed for a barrel tank, on this square flat bottom  tank?  (N.B. the aluminum angle in photo is sixteenth gage and only serves to attach bottomside corrugated scrim.  Tank sits on axle.)

Likely the cause of tank sag and glycol retention on a great many owners campers.

One of dozens of design/installation defects on our model year.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    So every time you fill the fresh water tank it makes sense to fill it until water comes out of the drain rather than relying on the (admittedly unreliable) light system inside the trailer to determine if the tank is full. That way you make sure the tank is truly full and at the same time verify that the drain is not clogged.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Good point, @Maxcamp8!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)