Options

Any tips / tricks to either keeping out, or "dealing with" multi-legged camper squatters?

Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
Doing some camper maintenance this afternoon and as I'm packing up from trip 1, I see a HUGE black spider go scurrying out from under the rug we have down the aisle.
I managed to "deal with" Mr spider (well, I'm presuming it was a he,) but is there any suggestions on keeping such "guests" out of the camper while it's in storage?  I understand there's 7 ways they can take to get up to the camper from the ground, and there's some trees behind the camper they could BASE jump  over from, but is there anything we could do?  We keep the windows on the "full lock" position and the roof vents closed, but I know there's plenty of ways to get into the camper for small guests...

Or does this fall into the category of "you own a camper, this is going to happen, just make sure to give it a good clean out before taking it camping every trip" sort of thing?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Move to a high elevation town in the the Rocky Mountains!  Very few bugs out here! Never seen a spider in our trailer!  =)

But seriously if you live in a buggy area it may be tough to keep them all out.   After our packrat issue last summer, picked up that hitch hiker in South Dakota, I put covers over the cutouts in our frame.  I also crawled under the trailer and covered every gap in the under belly and every intrusion for a pipe or wire with eternabond tape.  This was mostly for mice and pack rats but I can say there are very, very few areas for bugs to crawl into the trailer.  I also added a screen cover to the Alde vent.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Yep, I’ve added screens over the Alde vent & plumbing vent, attached screening inside the refrigerator vents (3 way), covered my exterior A/C vent with a weatherstripped acrylic panel, rarely open windows or door…still find the occasional bug. It’s part of camper life. Just catch it & boot its multi-legged backside out the door!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW