Options

Converter operation

I am just learning operation of my 2017 Outback. Upon disconnecting the AC power, should the converter stop running or continue to run for a short time? Or, if it continues to run will it do so until it drains the battery? I don’t know what constitutes normal here. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NYRichardNYRichard Member Posts: 7
    Also, in an online manual I see a reference to “Battery Disconnect Switch.” Is this an add-on cuz I don’t see such a thing
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    NYRichard said:
    Also, in an online manual I see a reference to “Battery Disconnect Switch.” Is this an add-on cuz I don’t see such a thing
    T@Bs didn’t originally have that switch. It’s a good idea to install one if you’ll be storing the T@B unconnected from shore power. Otherwise, pulling the fuse on the line from the battery serves the same function. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2023
    @NYRichard, below is a photo of a battery disconnect switch (shown as installed on a 2019 T@B 320 S.)  The battery positive ("+") and negative ("-") wires are routed through it so that you can easily cut off the battery (12V DC) power, so it is nice convenience to have.  If you do opt to add one, whether you do it yourself or have an RV or similar shop do it for you, you will need to add a 30-amp inline fuse on the battery positive wire and locate it close to the battery.

When you disconnect from AC power, the converter loses all power and will no longer be charging the battery.  So, the short answer is that "no," it will not be running when disconnected from AC power.

Keep in mind that the power center (most likely made by WFCO for your trailer), which houses the AC circuit breakers and DC fuses, distributes AC power to the trailer AND, through its integrated "converter" converts AC power to DC power to both charge the battery and send DC power (through fused lines) to DC-powered devices in your trailer.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks for the help on the switch. One other thing: the converter did eventually shut down on its own after 5 or 10 minutes. Does this suggest that there is some auto shutoff in the converter based on battery feedback (senses battery drain), time, heat or whatever? Sorry, just trying to understand mechanics of this thing
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    Is it the converter that had a delayed shut down or was it the fan that cools the converter?
    Perhaps the fan runs on 12v to allow cooling to continue for a bit after shore power had been disconnected?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    My 2017 Outback has the switch that Bayliss's picture shows.  Up in the battery compartment.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    If there is a cooling fan that might answer my question and would explain why it eventually stopped on its own. I will go ahead and install the switch in any case. Thanks All, for the help
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    There is definitely a cooling fan in mine. I just never noticed if it continues to run when the shore power is unplugged.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @NYRichard, as @Maple_Geek wrote, there is a cooling fan, but I do not believe it runs on 12V (at least I have never heard it running on 12V and I do not recall it being discussed on this Forum.)  You could contact the manufacturer and see what they say.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)