Options

Replacing Danby Air Conditioner with Midea MAW06R1WWT

The Danby Air Conditioner in my 2018 Tab320S was no longer blowing cold. I had bought a Midea MAW06R1WWT from Walmart in the sale last year for $109 for use the house but never got around to installing it, so I thought I'd see if it would fit the enclosure in the Tab. Sure enough the front dimensions are identical, but the depth is a couple of inches shorter than the Danby. The only change I needed to make was to attach of a couple of short pieces of wood to the end of each rail in the enclosure to prevent the possibility of the air conditioner sliding back towards the wall vent since it's a bit shorter. The new air conditioner not only blows cold (and is 6000 BTU vs 5000 BTU in the Danby), but is quite the upgrade since it has a remote, four way vents, digital temperature control, 24 hour timer, 3 cooling modes and 3 fan speeds, sleep mode, comfort sense (not sure what this is lol). Also it came with some foam strips which I packed around the unit before I put the frame back, so there's no air gaps around the unit.

There are other air conditioners mentioned in this forum, but the threads are quite old and the links to the units either dead or the unit is not readily available. The Midea MAW06R1WWT is still available at Walmart, albeit at full price though vs the sale price I bought it at. You never know though perhaps it will go on sale in the Fall again.

Here's some pics of the unit and the install:

The only slight concern I have is there's no angled baffles on the back of the unit like the Danby has. However I figure with the additional volume in the back of the enclosure, perhaps it doesn't matter. Will be interesting to try the unit this Summer and see how it goes.

2018 T@B 320S / 2017 Subaru Outback / Seattle, WA

Comments