Options

Solar Charge Port vs Alligator clips

I have a T@B320 Boondock.  
100AH renogy LI battery. 
105 solar on roof
victron controller 75/15
200 ah Renogy suitcase. 
Voyager controller 20Amp 

when I connect suitcase to battery with clips - 12% battery.  Time to full charge 6hr31mins 

when I connect through SAE charge port - 
12% battery - time to full charge. 33 hours. 

What am I doing wrong with the charge port?  
Michael Godshall
Holland PA
2022 T@B 320S Boondock
TV: 2018 F150

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    edited June 2023
    You're probably not doing anything wrong but check where the SAE port connects to. It either doesn't connect to the battery at all, or maybe it is connected to the victron controller in which case you don't need the Renogy controller. Note though that 300W total exceeds the capacity of the Victron which is 220W so you can't connect both panels even if you remove the Renogy controller. 
  • Options
    Michael_GodshallMichael_Godshall Member Posts: 21
    The port is directly wired to the battery. 
    Michael Godshall
    Holland PA
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    Weird.  One of the wires between the solar port and the battery may have high resistance/port connection.  I would measure the resistance of each wire with a multi-meter.  Each should be well below one ohm.  For 20A, the wire should be 12 AWG or thicker.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Ok, check the "polarity" of the SAE connectors. SAE connectors are somewhat non-deterministic which pin is positive and which one is negative. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I'm going to vote for polarity, too.  Have a multimeter?  The cable from the solar controller to the SAE port on the trailer must be wired (in the vast majority of the trailers) with the positive output from the controller wired to the "shielded" part of the cable....not that big metal part.  Most likely, the "top" input of your SAE port is wired to the positive posts of the battery. See the picture below.  When you are just hooking up with a easy to see properly wired set of battery clamps....you get it correct and you get good charging.  This would indicate your solar panels are correctly wired, but, whatever you are using to the port is not.
    And, fuses at the battery: check to make sure the fuse for the solar port hasn't blown if this is a case of reverse polarity.
    A multimeter can answer this for you quickly, as far as the SAE port goes.  This shot shows the "top" section of the port, where the "protected" part of the SAE cable attaches.  You can either wire your cable from the controller to make this happen, or use one of the little adapters to make it right.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @Michael_Godshall - how long and what gauge are your extensions?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    12 gauge , 20ft. 
    Michael Godshall
    Holland PA
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    Thank you.  Hoping to pick up a multimeter tomorrow-   I will let you know. 
    Michael Godshall
    Holland PA
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock