Options

Coupler Demo

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
For new folks, especially first time RVers, unhitching can feel like brain surgery. I made a demo video for someone in the FB group that demise the coupler. It gets easier with use and a little lithium grease helps, too.

https://youtu.be/XiewUYfWys8

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Very nice. We struggled with that the first time out and have been happy to find that it does improve 
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I picked up my T@B today after a 5 hour drive with lots of construction, then a 4 hour wait until they got to me and a 6 hour drive home with more construction, I finally got back to Beaumont and get to my trailer storage and the coupler will not budge and I find I'm stuck with the trailer hooked to my TV weather I like it or not. So I I brought it home and my TV and the T@B is behind my garage where it isn't suppose to be. (Its against the rules of the townhouse) so I came in showered and decided to watch your demo and start afresh in the morning. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You can try something to lubricate it like lithium grease and a rubber headed mallet to "help" it along. I wish you well.

I didn't understand how couplers worked and thought if I just moved the T@b a bit, it would loosen up. I ended up bending the trailer jack. Don't be afraid to ask for help. It doesn't mean you will always need help. It is especially stiff when new and becomes a lot easier after the first few times. Then, lubricate it once or twice a year to keep it moving freely.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Mine was VERY stiff too the first time I tried to unhitch.  It took several minutes of trying all kinds of pulling/lifting/pushing to include pulling the tv a smidge forward and back and eventually it popped off. You will get it and it does get easier after more use. Congrats on getting your T@B today!! 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Try lowering the jackstand with the wheel on and jack the trailer up slightly, you might need another person to operate the release mechanism, while you move your TV back and forth.  Generally it will break free.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Claw hammer (or crowbar) under the front edge of the sliding part as you lift the latch - I have to do that all the time as I'm on a lot of back roads and the lube gets dirty or wears off. My claw hammer is always on top of my tool bag right inside my tailgate and ready.
  • Options
    propuspropus Member Posts: 54
    If there is any load on the hitch between the TV and trailer it can be very hard to operate. Try putting the TV into neutral, rock it a little, and then back to park. Then try the hitch again. Be sure you're back in park!
    Parking on inclines can make the coupler very difficult to operate. Chock the trailer. Put the TV in R or D as necessary, and gently put a little uphill tension on the hitch. Go back to park and ease off the brakes. The lash in the drive train Should be enough to take the tension off the coupler. Even then, you may still have to use PXLated"s hammer technique.
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I used the claw of the hammer to give it a helping hand, Thanks PXLated for the suggestion. Thanks everyone for you help, I don't think I could do this without these Forums.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    When on uneven ground, you may need to use the other side of the hammer to lock it down.
    I'd never seen that type of hitch before but have become to appreciate it even though it can be a bugger as once locked and hitch-pinned it isn't coming off.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I found a rubber mallet helped with both removal and latching. Just a tap and the coupler snaps into place or slides back. I keep one handy in my "towing bag". 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk