Maintaining 320CS leather trim on clam shell hinge?

Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
De-winterizing this season I noticed the leather trim that covers the clam shell hinge is starting to show some weathering (e.g. lost it's shine, feels a little stiff etc). Doesn't appear to be cracking and otherwise in "working condition". However, I suspect if I just let the weather take it's toll that it could eventually get to the point where it would need to be replaced. I'm just not sure how long that would be.

I hope it's not too late but would like some advice on what sort of care others take to protect the leather or suggestions for reversing the damage already done, if any. Is it something I even need to be concerned about? Also, I'd be curious if anyone has had to replace the leather. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult of a job replace this if it came to that.

When we purchased it in 2021 I noted that this could be a potential weak spot and looked into how to care for it but found a lot of conflicting and confusing information.  So I just sort of abandoned the idea. It looked like new last season when I de-winterized and it's sort of been out of sight out of mind since I looked at it this year.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    My T@B is 10 years old and the gasket is still doing its job. But I suppose that you could hit with some Armor All to make it look shiny and new. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    Thank you! That's all I needed to hear. If yours has lasted you 10 years then I'm happy with that. It will likely be someone else's problem by then.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Da_Birds - the CS hatch hinge appears to be an industrial strength, synthetic strapping.  Like Marceline, we have not had any problems.  The one thing you should monitor is the caulking on the upper edge.  It can shrink a little and may need to be replaced at intervals.  Not hard to do and keeps the worries of water infiltration at bay.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I've been keeping an eye on it since it seems to be an area that could present some issues down the road. I'm pretty sure it's a strip of some sort of leather. Heading out today in the trailer so I'll be sure to take a much closer inspection to see if it is indeed natural or synthetic material.
    Da_Birds said:
    I've been keeping an eye on it since it seems to be an area that could present some issues down the road. I'm pretty sure it's a strip of some sort of leather. Heading out today in the trailer so I'll be sure to take a much closer inspection to see if it is indeed natural or synthetic material.
    It is absolutely not leather on my 2013 and I can’t imagine why Pleasant Valley would switch to leather for later models. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Synthetic ?nylon? Rip stop like😂

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    I took a good look at it this weekend and it is indeed synthetic. Mine appears to have a faux leather textured surface to it but other than that it appears to be the same material. Thanks to everyone for pointing this out. I didn't think to get a picture but I'll try and get one posted.