City Water Problem

We are camping and hooked up to city water. As you can see in the picture, we have the settings set to City Water. However, when the water begins to enter, a “vibration-like” sound starts to occur and the water pours out of the white drain hose underneath the camper. I do have water coming out of the faucet as it should, but surely this isn’t normal. We’ve had to fill up the fresh water tank, switch the valves to Dry Camp and use the pump. What may be causing this?
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Do you have a water pressure regulator on your City Water hose?  If not, the pressure from the city water connection has caused the Famous Yellow Flapper Valve (YYFV) to open to relieve the pressure.
    Open up the compartment under the driver's side bench where the Alde equipment is.  Your yellow valve is probably sticking "up".  To close the valve, just push it horizontal until you feel it "push" back into place.
    Stay on your pump and fresh water tank until you sort out your water pressure regulator.
    Happens to everyone!
    Here is a thread with a photo.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2023
    Thank you, I will check the yellow flapper valve. However, our 2022 TAB has a built in water pressure regulator. Would the regulator not protect that from happening?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2023
    Your  water system is rated for about 50# maximum.  You need to go to Walmart or your local RV parts store and pick up a brass water pressure regulator.  Your city water port does have a valve in it but you still need a regulator on your freshwater hose to limit the incoming water pressure from the source.  If the incoming pressure exceeds the yellow valve rating it will dump the water out the bottom of the trailer.  

Hourleey Brass RV Water Pressure Regulator, Lead Free, Water Regulator for RV Camper with Filter Screen, Protector for Campers, Travel Trailers, RV Plumbing System, 40-50 PSI https://a.co/d/

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    @Buckster, the rare 2022 with the FloJet!  The installed pressure regulators are a bit mysterious, because they disappeared almost as fast as they were announced.  The thinking was: NuCamp's supply was not able to get any during the pandemic, or....they discovered the built in ones didn't work.
    It will be very interesting to see what you find.
    And, here is a thread with your exact symptoms.  They may not have been very effective, since owners with built in regulators still needed an external one to stop the Famous Yellow Flapper Valve from leaking or dripping.

2017 Outback
  • CanyoneerCanyoneer Member Posts: 8
    We just experienced this same situation last week on our first camp of the season.  We did have a brass pressure regulator hooked up.  What apparently happened is I had the Alde/Nautalis in bypass while de-winterizing and sanitizing just days before.  I switched it to normal just before turning on the city water.  When I turned the water on this caused the yellow flapper to pop up, and water to flow out (maybe created an air lock?).  Once I found the flapper valve - it's kind of tucked away on our 2021 320CSS - and closed it, all was good.  Thanks to the many posters who gave us the info in the "notorious yellow flapper" valve.   
    @pthomas745, yes, the yellow flapper valve was open just as you described. I closed it and will be using a brass water pressure regulator from this point on.  Apparently, the FloJet on mine could not regulate the pressure.  Thankfully, I did not have any leaks within the camper.
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
    @Buckster thanks for the information.  Another interesting story about the built in regulator!
    2017 Outback
  • stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    The internal pressure regulator that NuCamp was installing in the 2022 versions for a short period of time, turned out to be an 80 psi regulator. I removed mine and replaced it with a piece of PEX as the connections were leaking. I have always used an external pressure regulator.

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    stepheng said:
    The internal pressure regulator that NuCamp was installing in the 2022 versions for a short period of time, turned out to be an 80 psi regulator.
    Interesting. I can't remember where I heard or read this, but if memory serves, I thought the internal plumbing fixtures were rated for 50 psi.  Is there any truth to that? 
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
    @Buckster most of the threads about the water pressure "limit" say 50 psi. 

2017 Outback