Options

Dual Golf Cart Battery Set Up Video

I must have been in a video making mood, today. Here is a video that I made that walks through my set up. A special shout out to @normfunfor his pat@ 

https://youtu.be/QQAG9NupRYo

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Jean - This is a great video that clarifies a number of issues for those of us considering 6 volt batteries as an option. I assume you are using solar and guessing that you connect a Zamp, but wondering whether you routed the wiring from the built in Zamp connector or added a new one since you provide a web link to the connector. Also, how do you find the added weight towards the front of the tongue?
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Jenn...excellent video and nice work!.  I'm guessing g the added tongue weight wasn't all that much, since you took one group 24 battery out and added the two Trojans.  Why 2 Zamp connections?  Do you run 2 solar collectors at the same time?  Did you have to run all new cables from the new battery box to the junction box under the T@B?  Lastly...how many AmpHours do you get (vs. the 86 from my AGM)?  Thanks again for taking the time to post the video!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    DABWCA said:
    Jean -  I assume you are using solar and guessing that you connect a Zamp, but wondering whether you routed the wiring from the built in Zamp connector or added a new one since you provide a web link to the connector. Also, how do you find the added weight towards the front of the tongue?
    I took the original Zamp connector and mounted it to the box and then picked up a second Zamp and connected it to the other side of the box. I am using Goal Zero Guardian  charge controllers and the have a maximum input of 90 watts each, so I use two controllers.

I can't say that I noticed the extra weight truthfully.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    How did you attach the box to the trailer?
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Do you think I could use u bolts?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ramrod said:
    How did you attach the box to the trailer?
    Stock angle bolted to battery box. I used fender washers inside the box.

ST_Bob said:
    If I were doing this dual 6V modification I'd have swapped one battery around so the terminals of the adjacent battery were the opposite orientation.  The wire between the positive of one and the negative of the other would have been a bit shorter, straight left-right, and thus would have less resistance.  All the accessory wires would be concentrated at one end near the middle and not spread across the maximum diagonal distance too.

Otherwise - great modification!

Being an electronics engineer is both a blessing and a curse sometimes.
    I have since redone it and cleaned it up. This was the quick, get everything back in there before it gets dark. I have run everything through the battery monitor shunt.