Options

Alde question

I just purchased a 2021 Tab 320 Boondock from an individual.  The trailer came with a half bottle of Century transfer fluid.  I now read that beginning in 2021 you must use a new blue Alde fluid.  He told me he topped off the tank before each trip.  I have not used the system yet.  Do I need to get it to a dealer to have the system flushed out?  
2021 T@B 320S Boondock
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    What color is the fluid in the reservoir ? If it looks similar to the fluid in the bottle the trailer might have come with the older Century TF. From what I gather the switchover was in Jan 2021 but like car manufacturers RV model years start in the previous calendar year. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,679
    Look at the front of your trailer for a small gray sticker that will have your "build date" on it.  NuCamp began the changeover from the "Century" glycol to the "Rhomar" glycol in mid December, 2020.  So, your "build date" is the crucial piece of information.
    The gray sticker looks like this: the "build date" is the Month/Year in the upper right hand corner.

Here is NuCamp's information on the glycol "changeover" date. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    skyoteskyote Member Posts: 29
    The sticker shows 04-21.  The tank looks bluish.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,202
    You’re well past the changeover date which is good news in terms of not having to do the flush/rinse/fill to the new fluid. The bad news is I hope the previous owner wasn’t mixing the old Century fluid with the new Rhomar fluid. I doubt a little would hurt but maybe find out if they put a lot of century fluid in.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    I would also get a better understanding of the comment that he topped it off before every trip.  I've had our trailer for years and the level doesn't change.  You may have a leak somewhere if the level is dropping.  

If you're unable to get an estimate on how much Century fluid was added, I would get it flushed out.  The fluids are not compatible with each other.  The dealer may have some insight on how much is too much.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2023
    I would get it flushed and filled either way.  But also, I agree with the comment about figuring out why it needs topped off.   

FWIW I've had bad luck ALDE issues the entire time owning this trailer and they seem to be, at least in part, due to the getting a trailer right before the switchover (it should have come with the blueish-Rhomar fluid but came from the factory with yellow-Century fluid in Dec 2020).  My initial corrosion leak started slowly and I was just topping off the fluid not knowing there was an underlying problem -- the trailer was less than a year old and I didn't know what "normal" was.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,202
    Horigan said:
    I would also get a better understanding of the comment that he topped it off before every trip.  I've had our trailer for years and the level doesn't change.  You may have a leak somewhere if the level is dropping.  

If you're unable to get an estimate on how much Century fluid was added, I would get it flushed out.  The fluids are not compatible with each other.  The dealer may have some insight on how much is too much.
    I've had to top off twice. At first I was worried why (thinking a leak) but I soon realized that some rough roads would cause the fluid to slosh around in the reservoir and pour out the overflow tube. It was subtle and I think I added, at most, a couple of ounces total. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Alde service from Truma, which is what Nucamp uses, doesn't flush the system. The new fluid pushes the old fluid out. $345 and less than an hour labor. Only Alde fluid should used, and comes at the correct dilution. They have equipment designed for this task. It still needs to be done every 2 years. If you need to top off the overflow tank distilled water can de used.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I would not replace the Century with Rhomar without first flushing out the Century with water.  NuCamp actually says it needs to be flushed out prior to adding the Rhomar, Airstream says the same.  As someone who has done the switch on our 2021 400 I can say it takes a lot of water to flush out the yellow Century from the lines, especially the long bleeder lines that extend vertical from the convectors.  I flushed with about 15 gallons of water before the water came out clear and then introduced the new Rhomar.  I suppose you could push the Century out with Rhomar but it would be a waste of lots of Rhomar to effectively flush out the Century.  

This document is from the NuCamp website which advises not to mix the fluids and to flush with water prior so I'd be surprised if they recommend not flushing out with water.

2021 Glycol Change Print

Modified on: Fri, 25 Feb, 2022 at 10:58 AM

TRUMA/ALDE GLYCOL SERVICE BULLETIN

SUBJECT: GLYCOL CHANGE

Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers/nuCamp has been notified by Truma/Alde that they will be switching to a different brand of glycol.  This change is a requirement from Truma/Alde for new units to be eligible for warranty.   Due to this requirement, all nuCamp production units manufactured on or after the following dates will have the new glycol. This was a rolling change so if your unit started production on these dates please contact us for confirmation. 

TAB 320 S and CS-S: 12-16-2020

TAB 400: 12-22-2020

Cirrus: Week of 12-21-2020

IF YOU ARE UNSURE IF YOUR UNIT HAS THIS NEW GLYCOL, PLEASE CONTACT HELP@NUCAMPRV.COM    

NOTE:

The Alde Antifreeze  CANNOT be mixed with any other old glycol.  If you are changing glycol or winterizing campers the system will need to be flushed with water and blown it out with air to remove all existing glycol.  Refill complete Alde system with Alde Antifreeze. 

Please see attached document for more specifications on the new glycol. 

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    A thorough flushing is absolutely required if you are changing glycol type.
    If you are just replacing your glycol with the same thing, then pushing the old out with the new is acceptable, and is indeed the way the proprietary Alde service pump is designed to work. The method I suggest here was intended to mimic the action of the Alde pump. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    skyoteskyote Member Posts: 29
    Thank you all for your help.  I took her to a dealer and he flushed with distilled water and refilled with the correct fluid.  
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    bergger said:
    ... I suppose you could push the Century out with Rhomar but it would be a waste of lots of Rhomar to effectively flush out the Century.
    I believe this is the method that was used for glycol exchanges at uCamp?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler