Options

Should we re-sanitize our plumbing?

We sanitized the plumbing at the beginning of the season (back in early May) and finally our next trip is coming up in a couple weeks.  After our first trip, we drained the tanks and the lines, so would it be a good idea to re-sanitize the system before our next trip?  Or should we be OK?  We pretty much just use bottled water or water run through an Epic Nano pitcher for drinking, so the water is either dishwashing, hand washing, and the toilet.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    I would just fill and go.  We drink our tank water by the way.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Personally, I only sanitize in the spring after dewinterizing.  I use my camper about every two weeks from mid May to early October and drain my fresh water tank (and Alde tank) after each trip.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 217
    Sounds like one less thing we have to muck with getting ready for our upcoming trip then!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Jay_and_Kat   I think if you are running only chlorinated city water through the system, then annual sanitizing is fine.  If you fill with well water or suspect water at a campground, then you may want to sanitize more often.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    danmcgrath2014danmcgrath2014 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Everyone. Marleecamps drains here fresh tank and alde tank after each use. HOW does one drain the alde water tank?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Welcome!  And tell us what year and model trailer you have?  In general: the Alde tank is drained by opening up the Yellow Flapper Valve, and a little more with the cold water low point drain.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yes, the drain valve for the Alde water tank on my 2021 400 is under the driver side bunk with the Alde system itself.  There are actually two yellow flapper valves, I believe the second is for the Flo system.  PIA to access with my exped mattress, but I still personally feel better not leaving water to potentially stagnate between trips.  I flip both of them open, wait until I no longer hear water draining and then flip them closed.  Others are comfortabke nit draining after each trip.  Comes down to personal preference.
    --Marlee
  • Options
    Hi Folks, thanks. I just bought a 2023 Tab 320S boondock. I figured out how to drain the fresh water tank, but I lack confidence in how to drain and refill the alde water tank. Underneath the back bench next to the Alde, is a yellow flipper. If I open that (up position) will water empty from the alde water tank? How do I refill the alde water tank? When I refill the fresh water tank with city water, will the Alde water tank automatically be refilled?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    If you are connected to city water, or if you have a full fresh water tank and the pump is on, the Alde hot water tank will fill automatically when you open a hot water faucet.

When you do this, you will notice it takes a while for the water to flow from the tap. That is because the water needs to push all the air in the tank (about 2.5 gallons) out ahead of it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @danmcgrath2014. Yes, lifting the yellow flapper valve will empty the Alde tank.  You will hear the water draining onto the ground below.  Congrats on the new rig!
    --Marlee
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    @danmcgrath2014 The Yellow Flapper Valve is described in the Alde manual.  It drains the Alde tank, and acts as a "pressure relief valve" when an owner using city water forgets to use a water pressure regulator on their hose.  This is...a very common occurrence.
    Yes, the trailer and the plumbing is very intimidating, but as you go along, it will get much more familiar and easier to deal with. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks very much everyone