GCFI receptacle

My wife and I bought a 2017 320 a couple of days ago.  I was checking out the electrical system (resetting breakers, inspecting fuses) and I came up with one problem I am not sure what to do about.  An electrical plug goes into two holes.  One of which is larger than the other.  The larger of the two on my GCFI outlet appears to be blocked about 1/4" inside the outlet.  An electrical plug won't go in all the way.  I haven't tried forcing it in.  Anybody know what's going on with the outlet?  Thanks

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,689
    Can only guess, consider:

1)  Original GCFI has a bad or damaged insides.  Replace the GCFI Unit

2)  An earlier owner replaced the original GCFI with a newer model that has those
         built-in child protection guards that make plugging even a standard 2 or 3-prong
         power cord difficult . . . requiring greater force than outlets without the built-in feature.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  53   Nights:  334  Towing Miles 42,600+
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,357
    @Red_Rover, that is a common feature in newer outlets.  When inserting the plug, try inserting the left prong of the plug first (just slightly more pressure applied toward the left prong) while slightly pushing it to the left.  That will force the cover inside the left slot to move aside (to the left), and the plug will fully enter the outlet.  Don’t be afraid to use a little extra pressure toward the left side.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)