Options

Hot water leak

Hi everyone, just got back with our 2019 T@B 400 and found we had a leak on the cold water line going into what I believe is the hot water tank. 
The blue line is buried under a series of 1" black lines. I got the blue line off and did a visual inspection of the connector. It was put back on and the water tank switch activated. It appears that water is leaking from the metal line coming out from the tank. Not sure if taking the tank out is something I am capable of doing. Any ideas or suggestion welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Well, the hot water boiler you are talking about is the Alde, don’t try to take it out!  Not sure what you are calling a water tank switch - the Alde control panel or the water pump?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    This is a picture of the ALDE Flow which is the continuous hot water component.  The black lines are the glycol. The blue line is going in, the red line at the top is the hot water out.  https://www.alde.us/our-products/alde-flow/

Do you have a better picture of the leak or whatever this metal line off that you are referring to — slow drip, fast drip, flowing?  Could be a failure of the quick connect attaching the blue line to the ALDE. 
  • Options
    MikeUMikeU Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I will see if I can get a better picture. The leak occurs when I turn on the lever to fill the hot water tank. It is more than a drip but not gushing out. I disconnected the hot and cold water lines into what I thought was the water tank. It did not appear to be the quick connect leaking but more from the metal tube that was coming from the tank. Thanks 

Just off left centre of the picture is the blue line going into the tank. The leak seems to be coming from the metal line out to the quick connect.
  • Options
    Sounds like a failed quick connector.  I’ve had the top red one in your picture fail and had to order it from Truma (~$18) as that one is a unique part.   The little tabs inside the quick connector that hold it on are pretty fragile and if one of them has snapped it will leak in the way you are indicating.  The water may just be running back on the metal pipe and look like it is coming from there.  If the quick connect is defective/broken and you wiggle the connection a bit by hand while pressurized it will leak more at certain angles.
  • Options
    Thanks for you insight and suggestions. It makes prefect sense that the quick connect would fail verses the leak being a result of the metal line. I will attempt to see if I can get a replacement. I am checking to see where I can obtain one and look forward to testing it out. From what I see Truma is in the US. I am hoping there is some where in Canada I can access the part. If anyone knows where I can do this please advise. Thank you.
  • Options
    The red connector at the top with the air intake is a unique to Truma part but I believe the blue pipe one is a normal ⅜ to ½ (or 10mm to 12mm) quick/push connect elbow

Something like this

• Options
    Thank you for the info. I was just in the city (Ottawa) and tried several store from RV dealers to plumbing stores, to Lowes/Home Depot without success. Will keep looking as I know it is out there.