Options

Mobile app walkie talkie with no network (peer to peer)?

trumpettrumpet Member Posts: 2
I don’t necessarily want to buy dedicated walkie-talkies, but local communication while off the grid could be really helpful for backing up the trailer, leveling, etc. Has anyone had success with a no-network mobile app?

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    The Apple Watch OS includes a walkie talkie feature but I’ve never used it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    trumpettrumpet Member Posts: 2
    Marceline said:
    Oh, I like the idea of using this as an excuse to get a watch!  :) 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    trumpet said:
    Marceline said:
    Oh, I like the idea of using this as an excuse to get a watch!  :) 
    But you'll have to get two!  😏
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2023
    Marceline said:
    This Apple Watch feature requires wifi or LTE connectivity to the Internet. It's also not 'real time' - messages can lag for several seconds.
    The only 'off grid' type communication app I've seen for Smartphones is goTenna, but it requires physical dongles and only supports text-based comms. They've also been out of stock for years, so I'm not sure the manufacturer even produces them anymore.
    You're better off getting small, cheap FRS devices like these for short range comms. My friends and I have used this brand for camping, music festivals, even some work scenarios many times over the years. They're very light and unobtrustive. For under $40, it's a no brainer.
    If you need long range capability, you can get something like a pair of Baofeng UV-5R radios + upgraded antennas for under $150. Even with use in FRS bands (so no HAM license needed, they'll work for miles.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    We use a pair of Motorola Talkabout FRS handhelds that work fine. Not needed for backing up as we're both loud enough but they're nice if one of us goes hiking or walking the dog. I saw the Baofeng UV-5Rs will be on sale on Amazon for Prime day and you can probably get a pair for under 80 bucks. I like our Motorolas as they are USB rechargeable. They have weather and alerts on them also. The more things I can get to run/recharge off 12 volts the better.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    We also use Motorola Talkabout radios, o,ER models with replaceable batteries.  They work great, and you can use a headset with them.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    tomtektomtek Member Posts: 47
    SLJ said:
    We use a pair of Motorola Talkabout FRS handhelds that work fine. Not needed for backing up as we're both loud enough but they're nice if one of us goes hiking or walking the dog. I saw the Baofeng UV-5Rs will be on sale on Amazon for Prime day and you can probably get a pair for under 80 bucks. I like our Motorolas as they are USB rechargeable. They have weather and alerts on them also. The more things I can get to run/recharge off 12 volts the better.

Cautionary note

While the chances of having a legal issue is fairly low the Baofeng is not FCC certified or legal for FRS band use in United States.   And the latest FCC public notice still being litigated is that they are illegal for sale and marketing in the US if FRS bands are possible.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf

Any new purchased Baofeng must be be locked from the FRS frequencies to comply with FCC ruling to be imported and sold in the US.   If they are not locked out it is probably a counterfeit unit or the importer broke the law and turned it on.   Many Many Baofengs have been confiscated by FCC for this reason.   Even straight off of truck stop shelves.

The 3 reasons Baofeng models are not legal for FRS in US

1. Detachable Antenna
    2. Frequency is VFO selectable not Channel number selectable
    3. Power can be set to exceed legal limits.

While the FRS band can be easily unlocked to transmit on FRS and GMRS bands it then puts the legal status on the person pushing the TX button.

My understanding is that new Baofeng UV-5R are most likely clones with poor signal emission as the UV-5R has been discontinued a few years back.   The poor transmission increases chances of getting a Black Van visit as the signal can bleed into public safety channels easily prompting a complaint. 2-5 watts goes along way when a public safety antenna tower is 200 feet tall. Easily 20-30 miles farther in some weather conditions.

Although it would probably take a complaint to trigger the location finding process I would not be surprised at all if someone reported being visited by the FCC.  I would suggest not giving location or identifying information via spoken voice on these radios as a precaution.  

As a recipient of one of these FCC black van visits for a different yet similar reason I urge great caution with its use for FRS bands. FCC is serious about their fines and prison times.  I can reassure you that it is easy for FCC to figure out the location of radios especially with supporting spoken information.

This text isn’t meant to strike fear just PSA of the legal status of your intended use.

73's to all

WV0Y Amateur Extra Class

2009 Dutchman TQ - Sold
    2021 CS-S - Enjoying the new layout
    2011 Outback 3.6r