Options

Another Reason I Love the Forums

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
For the most part, people do a good job answering the question you actually ask, not the one you didn't. I am sure they all meant well...

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

fb.jpg 172.3K

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I saw that discussion, Jenn.  I have no experience with Walmart overnight parking, nor any other store parking. In the 80's I did take naps in my mini-van in rest parks traveling from NJ to Indiana, and had no problems.  

I would prefer a rest park over Walmart, and would prefer a Cracker Barrel over a Walmart. Why? I live in a basically crime free area , except the blankety blank Walmart a mile away. And the recent viral video of the Walmart brawl between two women is about 5 miles from my house. I go 5 miles the other direction if I want a decent Walmart shopping experience. You just can't tell from the parking lot about the crime rate of the parking lot and inside the store. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    This site, and the FB site are incredible for us newcomers.  Its very much appreciated !
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Only Walmart  parking lot I've stayed in was in New Philadelphia, OH, on the way to Tearstock.  I've seen some I wouldn't stay in, but I've seen some RV Parks I wouldn't stay in either.  You just have to pay attention.  I'd rather stay at a Walmart than a rest stop, but I'd prefer a rest stop to a truck stop.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks @Vernaand @RZRBUG. I think I would be OK staying at the ones on the Ohio Turnpike. They have a special area, electric, eater, and a dump station, but I was not sure about other places.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I've stayed at many Walmarts and always find it safe and convenient.  I've never tried a rest area, because they seem "sketchier" and darker.  Lots more coming and going, too.  At Walmart, I huddle in with other campers and truckers.  It is also always well-lit.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I responded to the FB thread.  IMO you were given helpful answers.    Around here, IL, IN, TN, we don't overnight in rest areas so I couldn't really comment on one v. the other.  I do overnight at Walmart, which I stated.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've only stayed in two rest areas and found them too noisy - cars coming/going and trucks running while the truckers slept. Have never hit a Walmart but go by a lot with campers parked. Page, AZ had a ton, Europeans with rental units couldn't handle the wind so hit Walmart.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    One overlooked overnight resource I think worth a thought are many church parking lots. I'd think it would be best to find the small and medium size ones with the pastor's name and number available. I'd Google it in advance, check Street View then call during business hours and ask. Their lots are empty most all the time except Sunday and Weds nights. They occasionally have visiting ministers park on their lots so it's not a totally unheard of request. You'd be a lone duck there most likely but I'd think safe, Especially if you're a believer ;-) You might slip a gratuity under the door as well.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Walmart sounds easier :-)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015
    I go by the alternatives and options I have in hand.   When I am looking for a place to bed down for the night I use my All-Stays app as much as I can and also have a few other apps available on my iPhone that I utilize when I am looking for a "safe" spot to bed down for the night.  

The only time I will rest in an expressway rest area is during daylight hours when I get tired and need a quick refresher/pick-me-up during cross-country trips from point A to point B.  The only way I would opt for an overnight stay in a rest area would be if the area was "patrolled by security" and heavily populated with other campers or individuals who were resting.  I've seen this before along the major interstates and obviously use good discretion and go with my gut feeling as well.  

Walmart is normally my last resort and as PX noted in an earlier discussion, there are parts of the US where there are no campgrounds and your options are indeed limited, thus making it extremely difficult to find a good/safe spot to bed down.  I've been out there in the hinterlands without a suitable place to stay and will not just pull over and get inside and sleep.  So these times do require good judgement as these trailers are "eye candy" to the curious and unsavory individuals out there and sometimes you do have to travel further distances to keep you and your loved ones safe.  Those times I did opt to stay at Walmart I made a concerted effort to "tuck in or blend in" close to the majority of other campers parked there and with safety in mind as I believe "there are strength in numbers" and normally those with ill conceived intent will stay away from something that is going to create a scene and hinders their efforts when preying on others.

Another thing I have done in the past (and used as an alternative when other options failed) was to pull in behind a major hotel chain, get into my trailer and catch some much needed rest.  Obviously this would be labeled as "stealth camping" but it has worked well for me over the years, I was never shaken from bed by any hotel staff late at night and was able to catch some much needed rest and quietly continued on my way the following morning.  I have done this on the QT, parked in what I felt were safe areas behind these large/well known hotel chains and have never been bothered by anyone to date.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2015
    edit
    "Whatever gets you through the night, it's all right"... (apologies to John Lennon)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Not sure if I'd recommend this or not but on two occassions I've parked at an airport. Both times it was in towns of 10-15,000 so there were other cars parked in the lot. Wasn't hasseled at all.
    All but the smallest of towns have airports (even if it's a grass strip) and most have rather generous parking areas. Unlike big airports, there really isn't any security and I'm not sure the local cops even patrol them. Being a pilot, it just seems like an easy place to hole up.

• Options
    NCT@BSNCT@BS Member Posts: 8
    Just had a guy shot in the back while in a rest stop restroom on I-85 near Charlotte. http://www.wral.com/cabarrus-deputies-searching-for-rest-stop-shooting-suspects/15149621/ I think Walmart is safer.
    2015 T@B S Max (white and black) + 2017 Chevy Colorado (white and black)  
    Charlotte, NC
  • Options
    That's awful, in too many ways.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NCT@BS - I'm sure we could find random examples of violence at Walmarts, campgrounds, even churches. Not sure any one incidence is idicative of anything though. Random is random. You might be there by chance but more than likely not.
    We certainly don't want to list them all here in the forum. On the other hand, if a certain campground, etc is known to be unsafe in general,  it'd be nice for the forum members to know.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That's  a good point, PXL, about publishing safety information about places.

Do any of the "camping/rest area guides" specify security? Or whether there's an attendant on duty?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    To get back on topic...

Jenn, I've done many rest areas, some truck stops, and only one 'attempt' at a wal-mart.

In each case, as others have said, it all depends on how the individual location "feels". Some rest areas have felt so squirrelly we've skedaddled right out of there, and some truck stops have been so quiet and sleepy, we've slept soundly.

But then, looking at the title of your thread, I'm not sure that this is the subject of the conversation... B-) How quickly threads will go astray!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    We all have a little ADOS - Attention Deficient Oh! Shiny! :o
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    SQUIRREL!  =)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TABaker said:
    I responded to the FB thread.  IMO you were given helpful answers.    Around here, IL, IN, TN, we don't overnight in rest areas so I couldn't really comment on one v. the other.  I do overnight at Walmart, which I stated.  
    How'd ya get from IL and IN on down to TN and skip KY? We got Walmarts too! ;-)
    2014 T@B-S