Options

Fire Extinguisher Mounting

OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
Screws attaching fire extinguisher to door of our 400 BDL pulled out. Tried repairing w/ double sided "gorilla glue" tape and some new screw holes. Failed again. Before I turn my door into swiss cheese w/ more screw holes, curious to know if anyone has come up w/ a clever fix for this situation. Alternatively, has anyone found a different/better place to mount the fire extinguisher? Seems like a bad idea to leave it home in the garage... 
2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I had the same problem with the screws pulling out of that very thin piece of plastic on the door.  There is a lot of stress every time the door is closed.  I mounted a piece of 1/4" Poplar (Lowes) to the door and then screwed the fire extinguisher bracket to the wood.  I mounted the wood to the door with double sided tape but I don't remember what brand/kind of double sided tape.  The screws go through the wood into the plastic.  I debated adding additional screws through the wood into the plastic but then didn't do so.  Everything has held just fine so far.  I have put about 2000 miles on since the repair.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    In the case of a fire in our T@B, I'd get out as fast as possible. With that in mind, I moved our extinguisher to the truck box mounted on the front.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Yeah we have one in the truck too. We still have the one mounted in the T@b door but if it ever became an issue I might not replace it. Or I might put in the exterior storage box. As @AnOldUR said. Fire means get out quickly then deal with it. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We tend to leave door open with screen pulled when parked at home to limit heat build-up inside. Wasn't home when winds introducing thunderstorm violently slammed door shut. Pulled extinguisher screws right out and knocked the plastic cover off door latch system. Surprisingly, screws had enough bite when reinstalled.
    Second time wind blew door shut, I wasn't as lucky. Top quality carpenter's glue and toothpicks did the trick. Finally smartened up and use a bungee that stretches across door, just above latch assembly, from under the middle hinge to the otherwise useless grab handle.
    Unless you are Superman, never attempt to move or pivot a 400, even with double 10" air filled jockey wheels. The grab handles are for decoration only (except when used as bungee cord hooked end holder ;) )
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Here is a photo of my installation discussed above