Options

Testing Glycol Flow Without Turning on Heat

With a lot of Alde issues cropping up here and on the FB forums I started thinking about my own system. We’ve yet to really use the heat in our camper this year. I don’t know if it’s bad or good that the glycol sits dormant and uncirculated in the system.

Can I just run the circulation pump at the panel to move the glycol around the system? Does Alde say anything about the glycol sitting too long uncirculated in the system? Is this a potential cause of corrosion? I’m running Rhomar but will be doing our 2-year swap soon. 
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    Yes you can turn the pump to "Cont" to move the fluid through the system.  No need to turn the actual heat on. I do not know if Alde says anything about the fluid sitting dormant for too long and if that is an issue.  From what I've gathered the corrosion issues that have popped up are from fluid that gets in between the rubber hose and the aluminum stub that comes off the end of the convector.  That alone leads me to believe that stagnant fluid could, might, possible, maybe be a contributor to the corrosion issue??? But the corrosion issue seems to be only in some trailers so who really knows.  It can't hurt to circulate the fluid every once in a while.  I have not used our heat for the past month or so and you have reminded me to go ahead and circulate it.  I usually do this every so often.  I did my own switch to rhomar last year so we are due for a two year change next summer.  I may extend it to 3 years.  Still debating on that. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,202
    Thanks @bergger I figured running that circ. pump wouldn't hurt...but I guess the only way to know if I have clogs or anything is to run the heat and check each convector. I've yet to hear about anybody with the Rhomar having corrosion issues. 

If you're willing to go three years I'll be rooting for you all the way. You're a more courageous being than me. I'm a couple of months overdue for the refill and I'm already worried. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Our 2019 400 has had one flush and refill with Century and goes for long periods with no circulation of glycol. I have not inspected all my connections but so far no issues noted so I would say that if were going to corrode just sitting it would have done something by now with my build date of Oct 2018. I plan to flush and refill with Century later this summer and I must say that our unit with the Flo added has worked without a single hitch for the weeks we have been camping these last 3 years. No loss of glycol from reservoir by evaporation or anything. We run for hot water only in summer and heat and hot water in the shoulder seasons. Maybe we are just lucky or there is hidden corrosion and the connections are just waiting to fall apart.

I'd rather do what is reasonable and logical and just go camping. There will always be more things that can go wrong than will go wrong for anyone. I feel for those that have had problems, and wish we had a better preventive maintenance procedure to prevent them. So it seems that you need to do what makes you able to sleep at night, and hopefully this issue is not interfering with the reason you got the T@B to begin with.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    @qhumberd Good points for sure. Ours has worked flawlessly as well but you know how it goes when you start seeing a bunch of posts about the Alde....also, I'm just anxious about doing my own glycol change here in a couple of weeks. So it's all front-and-center right now. 

Again, I love the Alde but the more I use it and maintain it I'd rather move to something more "primitive" like a forced air system.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    @manyman297 I agree and it is concerning that if something goes wrong with the Alde it seems it would be in no way cost effective to repair or replace it, and that would cripple the camper. In my case we would likely then use ours to camp with hookups and camp showers and just get a small space heater to take off the chill. It’s still a nice bedroom.

I am thinking there are creative types on the forum that could build a workaround if your Alde was defunct. Might not be that hard to do…

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 272
    You can use the Dometic heat pump as long as it doesn’t get too cold outside.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    @qhumberd Yeah, the Alde going out would be a game over for me. In hindsight our little tent trailer we had was so basic but so easy to maintain. Yeah the furnace would sound like a jet engine taking off when it kicked on but parts could be easily sourced for cheap. I realize it isn't apples to apples but man, I miss how easy it was to work with it. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    I remember the days of the slide in camper with a propane heater. It was noisy, hot near the unit and cold everywhere else. In the T@B, above 40F, the Alde is very comfortable and cozy. It makes no noise on electric power and very little sound on propane. Issues with condensation and hot/cold areas when the temperature is below 40F are a function of the aluminum ceiling and not the Alde. In my opinion, the periodic inspections and changing fluid every other year is very little cost for a much more comfortable unit. I'll admit, a few people have had issues. A propane furnace plus a propane water heats is not without periodic maintenance and their own variety of issues. When you look at the number of units out there, I still think the Alde is a better system.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I agree Miclerly, our Jan 2018 TaB 400 has not had any issues with the Alde.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.