Options

Century Transfer Fluid

I need to add Century Heat Transfer Fluid to my Alde tank. While traveling i stored the fluid container in the bed of my pickup. It was exposed to direct sunlight. It is no longer yellow in color, but clear. It is only one year old. No water was added. Has anyone experienced this, and is the transfer fluid still good?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    IMHO, a color change is not a good sign.

The MSDS (attached pdf file) includes references to:
       Conditions to Avoid .  .  .  .  .  .  .  Extreme temperatures
       Hazardous Decomposition .  .  .  . Thermal decomposition may yield CO2
       Storage & Handling  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  protect from extreme temperatures.

The MSDS also notes the pH-level as   8.8  so you could at least check your containers pH.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,203
    It’s interesting because I have a bottle of Alde-branded Rhomar and it mentioned color shifts due to UV exposure but doesn’t mention anything about it degrading the quality.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    edited July 2023
    manyman297 said:
    . . .  Alde-branded Rhomar and it mentioned color shifts due to UV exposure . . .

Is interesting, the Rhomar is the newer formula Green glycol, correct?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,203
    Yeah. I guess it’s green if you buy it from Alde and blue if you get it direct from Rhomar. There are a few conspiracy theories floating around about why there’s a difference in color.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    edited July 2023
    Century comes in different colors, too, though both appear to have the exact same specifications.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    NuCamp flushed and filled our Alde with Rhomar in June.  We took home a gallon with an Alde label and it is more green than blue.  Go figure.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,681
    Aqua Hot is a manufacturer of heating systems that use glycol, and they are actually fairly straight forward about the glycols used in their trailer.  This link goes to their FAQ, where they pretty much say each color of the Century brands and the Camco brand are...all the same.  Each manufacturer chooses which "color" they fill their heaters with.
    There are different concentrations of glycols as far as the water/glycol ratio goes. Century sells "non diluted" glycol that must be diluted before use.  But, as long as the ratio is the same, the only issue with the colors, according to Aqua Hot is...if you mix them, it might confuse a service person about the condition of the heater. The FAQ even has a quick explainer about how to test glycol with a refractometer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Good info, @pthomas745
    Just to clarify, Century sells both pre-diluted and non-diluted versions of their glycol. Owners swapping out with Century should check their product carefully and dilute (or not) as needed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    Rhomar also sells various concentrations of RTU. RTU-50 (50%) is the recommended concentration for the Alde.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA