Options

Mounting Awnings on T@B 320S Yakima Rails

Friends, for the last few months I have been trying to figure out how to mount a retractable awning (Overland Vehicle Systems 4.5 x 6 ft) on the cargo rails on my 2021 T@B 320S.  After finding out that I cannot adjust the location of the lower cross bar (It appears to be screwed into the trailer) and the need to replace the round cross bar with a flat one to secure the awning, I am about ready to give up.

I use the rear of the trailer to wash dishes. Having the rear "bumper" rail to hang things on the close location to the outdoor shower makes a sweet setup.  I just need some protection from the sun or rain.
Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,
Kirk

2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
Tucson, Arizona

Comments

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @K_C_915, you have the same Yakima setup on yours as I have on my 2015 and I've been playing around with ways to do the same thing, I've just been distracted by more pressing T@b issues.  On my Yakima the "standards", the part that holds the crossbar can be loosened and will slide up or down the track which is screwed to the camper.  

I've just been toying around with one of my lightweight backpacking flys and other than looking at your awning on their website I'm not familiar with your product.  However, I feel pretty confident that there would be a way to attach the awning box frame to the round crossbar.  If you attach it to the lower bar (so you will get more coverage with the awning) you could think about a set of lightweight poles which catch the awning about 1/3 of the way from the box frame which would lift the extended awning to clear your head.  A more stylish support could be designed that would use the Yakima track to lift the awning and clear your head while also eliminating the additional poles on the side.

I went to Yakima's site to look for track attachments that might be helpful and and it looks like every spare part on the site is "discontinued"...  Humm, that doesn't look good.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    @fstop32, Once I discovered that my rear cross bar can't be adjusted, I decided to stop trying to be fancy and just buy two tent poles and tie my Kelty Noah's Tarp I use for backpacking on the T@b's rack and try that.  Crude, but, I hope, effective.  I could probably get the fancy awning to work, but it was going to cost more money and time than I want to spend right now.
    I am curious if any other T@B owners tried something similar.

Once I found out that the lower cross bar was hard mounted into the trailer, making this work got a lot harder.  I even thought about using some Uni-strut channel to make a mount for the awning.  Maybe some other time.

Thanks for your response.  I hope things go well on your T@b issues.
    Kirk
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    What about a Hasika or King Camp shelter?  I have not seen one of the rear of an S or 400 model, but they are pretty versatile.  See pg 2 of this thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10280/awning/p2

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM ; Some good ideas there. Thanks
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Not really "retractable" per se, but the Kelty Waypoint Tarp might work for this purpose. Attach the vehicle end of the tarp to the crossbar, and then just one pole and a few guy lines gets you coverage. You might even be able to roll it back towards the crossbar, throw the bag over it, and then strap the whole thing to the crossbar for transport.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @K_C_915, I love my Noah's Tarp!!  =)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am a little surprised no one has tried mounting a more permanent awning on the rails.  Maybe it is not a good idea.  I will be going out again the end of this month and I will try my Noah's tarp.  I agree with @fstop32, its a great tarp and has saved the day many times on the trail.  With a little work and two new poles I bought, I will try it on the trailer.  As my age marches on, there will be less backpacking and more trailering.
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    Ah, a fellow backpacker!  What a great hobby.  While I still backpack I have to chuckle at how much of my backpacking gear has taken up residency in my T@b and works very well there!