Options

So Frustrated With the Auto-Detect WFCO 8700 series

Has anyone swapped the WFCO8735 AD (for auto detect) converter for the Progressive Dynamics 4000 Series Mini RV Converter?? I put the WFCO 8740AD in my 2017 320S and have had nothing but aggravation. AD is supposed to stand for Auto Detect, meaning it is supposed to detect that I have a lithium battery and charge on that basis. Your have to jump through hoops to get it to switch to lithium mode (yes, I've seen the WFCO videos and gone through the process with WFCO support) and then it keeps reverting back to lead acid mode. It should be listed as MD (Might Detect), or RD, for Random Detect or Rarely Detect. The Progressive Dynamics unit has a switch to get to lithium mode. I have communicated with WFCO support and even pulled the unit out and sent it back for a firmware update (gone for nearly a month). It still won't stay in lithium mode. I just want something that works without a hassle.

2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited September 2023
    Hi, 

Across many forums, they seem to be quirky and unreliable.  As an option, instead  of changing out the entire unit again you could use a dedicated lithium battery charger (such as a Victron IP 22)  for your battery(s).  You could wire it through an off/on switch.  Is your lithium inside or out?

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 60
    I'm open to your suggestion OR swapping to the Progressive Dynamics unit OR I hear there is a way to modify the board in the WFCO unit so that it is permanently in lithium mode. My battery is in the front tub of my late 2017 320S. I think I could get the IP-22 mounted in the tub, but would then have to figure a way to plug it in. Not sure all of that wouldn't be more time-consuming than just swapping for the Progressive Dynamics controller for not that much more money.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    It continues to surprise me how much effort people put into trying to get the WFCO to work for the extra 15 amp hours the "lithium converters" will add compared to the "non-lithium" converters.  Just on an amp hour per dollar cost, it just doesn't seem worth the time and effort.  Your solar charger will do the job.  If your battery is in the tub, wiring up a dedicated charger (NOCO/Victron, etc) would be as simple as connecting a "dongle" that would be easily accessible in the front tub,
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I started seeing the WFCO horror stories last year so I didn't change out the converter on my 2021 T@B 320 S. Instead I added a Victron smart charger and put the batteries on a switch to turn them off when using shore power. The Victron charges them to 100% and then floats correctly. Cheaper, easier, and a better charger than the WFCO. https://amzn.to/3EkOZ63
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    tombeaux said:
    . . . yes, I've seen the WFCO videos and gone through the process with WFCO support . . .
    . . . it keeps reverting back to lead acid mode.
    . . . just want something that works without a hassle.
    As noted in other comments lots of folks have issues/confusion with the WFCO Auto-Detect System.  The video linked below addresses the what/why of the auto-detect switching modes.

It is not a WFCO Sales video - - - - Does have a WFCO Support Tech explaining.

Video take-away seems to be Yes - - it works but other factors like dual charging sources (solar), trailer cabin DCV loads, charge wire size (voltage drop) are causing huge RV Owner Confusion

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops - Thanks for the link. I've watched this video and yes, there is some great information. Still, WFCO is admitting they have created a product that has issues with many RVs. You've got folks needing to rewire or move the batteries closer to the controller, or just giving up and adding a separate charger. The WFCO tech even says several times that if you can't get it to switch or stay in lithium mode, it is okay because it will still charge to 14.4 volts in lead acid mode. That has not been true for me. The best I have gotten is 13.6 volts. I've used my solar suitcase to top it off. Apparently the switch caused them problems with folks frying lead acid batteries. Still, right now, I would take the switch option 10 out of 10 times. I sent the unit back once for the firmware update and that did not change anything. I'm trying heavier gauge wire (testing today with battery cables before I go through the hassle of running heavier wire to the battery).  
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I got a Victron IP65 (15A) charger. It's waterproof and I can plug into either a galley outlet through the front window or an outside outlet. I have the Victron quick connector pre-wired to my Dr. Prepare Powermax battery. It would be nice to not have to fuss with connecting the Victron charger, but I'll probably continue to do that rather than replace the WFCO with the PD switchable converter. And the Victron has the benefit of providing Bluetooth app monitoring. 

I again completely discharged my Powermax battery and have given the WFCO AD unit several days to detect the LiFePo power profile. The green diode is still shining bright, so mine's still in never-detect mode.  
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    otr_320otr_320 Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2023
    tombeaux said:
     . . . WFCO is admitting they have created a product that has issues with many RVs. You've got folks needing to rewire or move the batteries closer to the controller, or just giving up and adding a separate charger. The WFCO tech even says several times that if you can't get it to switch or stay in lithium mode, it is okay because it will still charge to 14.4 volts in lead acid mode. That has not been true for me. The best I have gotten is 13.6 volts. I've used my solar suitcase to top it off. Apparently the switch caused them problems with folks frying lead acid batteries. Still, right now, I would take the switch option 10 out of 10 times. I sent the unit back once for the firmware update and that did not change anything. I'm trying heavier gauge wire (testing today with battery cables before I go through the hassle of running heavier wire to the battery).  
    I feel your pain.  Been there, done that . . . a number of times.

WFCO converters have a history of rarely charging in bulk (14.4 - 14.6v) mode. They tend to stay in 13.6v absorption mode which significantly increases charge times due to reduced charge current.  Only a seriously depleted battery or large inrush of discharge current can force some WFCO converters into bulk mode.  Even then, it's typically fleeting and temporary.

Several RV's we've purchased in years past had WFCO converters.  They all failed the bulk mode test and only produced 1/3 to 1/2 of their rated charge current. These days we typically install Victron or Xantrex inverter/chargers, but back-in-the-day we replaced the WFCO's with Charge Wizard equipped Progressive Dynamic converters.  Their charging performance was superior to WFCO in everyway---always producing their rated charge current in bulk mode.

Before we started a number of electrical upgrades on our new '23 320 (back in Aug), we quickly tested the OEM 35a WFCO "auto-detect" converter to see how it would charge a new Group 24 lead-cell battery the dealer installed---more out of curiosity than anything else.  As expected, the WFCO stayed in 13.6v absorption mode and could only output a measly 8a of charge current even though the battery was seriously discharged. Our 320's excessively long run of OEM 10 gauge wire that meandered from the tub battery, to the battery disconnect switch, then back across the trailer to the WFCO converter, compounded the problem with a ton of voltage drop.

Disappointing performance to say the least. It is what it is.
  • Options
    I gave up on the WFCO auto-detect and installed a Victron IP22. I mounted it on the divider between the controller and Alde (under the driver-side bench) in my 2017 320S. Ran 6AWG wire through the floor and then inside the frame rails up to the battery. The power cord runs under the divider and plugs in at the Alde socket. I manually set it on lithium and can monitor it on the Victron app via Bluetooth, just like the Victron shunt. It charged beautifully. We just took it on a 3-week jaunt and it works like a champ. It’s a simple installation and I would recommend it 10 out of 10 times over swapping to a WFCO auto detect controller. My pain is over.😁
  • Options
    otr_320otr_320 Member Posts: 71
    tombeaux said:
    I gave up on the WFCO auto-detect and installed a Victron IP22. I mounted it on the divider between the controller and Alde (under the driver-side bench) in my 2017 320S. Ran 6AWG wire through the floor and then inside the frame rails up to the battery. The power cord runs under the divider and plugs in at the Alde socket. I manually set it on lithium and can monitor it on the Victron app via Bluetooth, just like the Victron shunt. It charged beautifully. We just took it on a 3-week jaunt and it works like a champ. It’s a simple installation and I would recommend it 10 out of 10 times over swapping to a WFCO auto detect controller. My pain is over.😁
    Awesome! Glad you passed on the WFCO and ended all that painful drama--lol! Good idea running the 6 awg vs. using the undersized OEM 10 awg. That'll definitely improve the performance of your IP22.  The bluetooth capability is icing on the cake.  Enjoy!!