Options

Where does the charge wire from the TV go?

I might be overthinking this, but I am really stumped. How does the 7 pin cable on the trailer charge the battery? Does it connect to the trailer wiring somehow that is connected to the battery? It doesn't seem likely that is so, as the trailer wiring from the battery supplies power to the trailer from the battery. My TV is wired for a charge wire, but it seems there should be a charge wire going to the battery from that cable somewhere. Am I over-thinking this?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I always thought the charge wire went through to the converter and the converter then controlled the battery charging. Will be interested in what the real answer is.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I always thought the charge wire went through to the converter and the converter then controlled the battery charging. Will be interested in what the real answer is.
    That is what I thought, too and maybe that is how it works. I was testing my voltage today and started getting paranoid, lol.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I thought the center of the 7-way plug was for the "hot wire" to charge the battery??
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    The battery in your TV is connected to the T@B battery through the 7 pin. Found out the hard way. While removing the battery out of the T@b, accidently touched the battery wire to a ground, Blew the fuse that is under the hood of my van.  On the diagram that I have the center pin on the 7 pin is for back up lights, the battery charge connector is at the 1 o'clock position.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    My question isn't about the 7 pin connector on the TV, it is where the 7 pin connector goes to charge the trailer. It doesn't go straight to the battery, it goes to a little junction box under the trailer. After that, where?

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The junction box is where everything is tied together. Basically, the charge pin on the 7-pin trailer connector (t@b side) is connected to the t@b's battery and feeds the t@b's 12v electrical system. The converter box is only used when plugged into 120v.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    The junction box is where everything is tied together. Basically, the charge pin on the 7-pin trailer connector (t@b side) is connected to the t@b's battery and feeds the t@b's 12v electrical system. The converter box is only used when plugged into 120v.
    Thanks, @wizard1880

So, should there be a charge wire from the junction box to the battery in addition to the trailer wires that provide power from the battery to the T@b? Or is there really one set of wires that both charge the T@b and provide power to the T@b?

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2015
    Yep, the wires are all twisted together in the junction box, so wires from the battery, the main t@b power distributor (part of the converter), and the 7-pin connector are all spliced together there.

The voltage regulator in your TV's alternator determines how much charge the t@b's battery gets. Normally there's a lot of power loss in the wiring, so the t@b's battery doesn't see the 14.4v your TVs battery does. But it gets anywhere from 13.5 to 14+ depending on the wiring gauge.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA