Options

Rear view camera installation

Hi, Total newbie to Nucamps. Want to install a Furrion vision S to the rear of my Tab 320S. Attaching it on the shelf above the license plate provides easy access to power. I believe that location would also provide a satisfactory view of the road and campsites while backing up.

Has anyone had experience installing this system? How do you attach the camera to the Tab? Screws, superglue?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi,

Different ways to power and attach  the camera.  Mine is powered out of the 12V junction box on the trailer frame near the front.  Ran wires exterior /under trailer from TAB  rear to junction box.  Used a water proof grommet in hole of junction box to run wire in/out.  My camera is a license plate mount .  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Good2goGood2go Member Posts: 20
    Hi  I attached mine to the aluminum tubing framework above the license plate - tapped into power from the license plate light.  I attached it using simple plastic tie wraps. Works OK - adequate when backing up at a campground or parking lot. Inadequate in my view on the road because it's mounted too low.  I'm hoping to find a way to attach it higher up so I can get a better view of vehicles behind me while traveling.
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I recommend attaching the camera as high as you can, otherwise the view will be absolutely miserable at night when headlights directly shine into the camera. Be aware that semi-truck headlights are much higher as well.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    Our Garmin GPS allows toggling between cameras. We have a license plate camera, one on the roof and a third that we'll sometimes put in the back of our tow vehicle to keep track of the dog.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2023
    Mounted my Garmin above the license plate and the antenna on the front next to the tub. Grabbed power from the 12V junction box running lights post under the tongue so I just turn on the lights to use it.
    No problem seeing what's behind me especially the ground right behind the T@B when backing into a camp site or parking. I wouldn't want it any higher.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    I may be the odd one here, but in three seasons I've never used our backup camera to backup. It's more about keeping track of traffic behind me (tailgaters) and the gear mounted on the back of the T@B.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    dagaaddagaad Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate everyone's comments. My dealer tells me that they mount it on the flat shelf above the license plate. That may or not be the best location to place it. I sense that they install it there because its the easiest place to install. Easy access to the license plate light power. My drothers would be to mount it up near the fan for better visibility of both the road behind me and when I'm backing into a campsite. My main concern is how to attach it to the fiberglass shell? Has anyone had experience screwing into the shell?
  • Options
    As to a backup camera, we are downsizing from a 27' Lance to the Tab. My partner is not very good at directing me while backing up, so the camera saves the marriage. 
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    @dagaad If the 320 is similar to the 400, then that fiberglass shell "bumper" on the rear of the trailer is attached using screws that are accessible under the trailer. That short, flat shelf above the license plate is exactly where my camera is mounted and on my 400 you can screw into the shell there without hitting anything. I drilled holes for the mount and the cables. Nowadays, I would probably just attach the camera mount with 3M VHB tape.

When I eventually get a new camera, I will mount it above the stargazing window of my 400. At the current location, headlights point directly into the camera and make it almost useless at night.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    Jilong,

Thank you for your information. Based upon your recommendation, I'll most likely place it on the roof near the fan and access the power from either the fan or the interior light below. Also your suggestion to use VHB tape is also a good one. I'd prefer not to screw into the fiberglass without access to install a backing plate.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    If anyone wants a more economical camera option, I installed this one. I tapped into the license plate light wires for power and mounted the camera to the left license plate bolt. I just have to make sure I turn on my headlights to get camera power. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLZ1HSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    RobInPARobInPA Member Posts: 6
    @bjn2 Does it obscure the license plate at all ?  Any chance you could post a photo (with license plate blurred out oc) ?