Options

Taking a bike along

dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
Does the new T@B come with a 2" receiver so I can use my receiver bike rack or can I install a 2" receiver easily?
Thanks
Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    No receiver on the T@b and it would require some fabrication to install one since there is no bumper. The teardropshop does carry bike racks made for the T@b. Also, search bike racks on the form for more details.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just to clarify... Are you asking if there's a receiver on the T@B itself or if the T@B uses a 2" receiver on your tow vehicle?
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I wouldn't recommend installed a receiver for the purpose of adding a bike rack.  There is so much bouncing at the back of a trailer that it takes a great deal of abuse.  I put a brand new $500 Thule rack on the back of my Silver Shadow and it ultimately sheared in half at the stinger (the part that goes into the receiver), dragging two bikes behind me.  It was 5:30 in the morning on the remote south end of Glacier, and I only knew it had happened because of the sparks I could see in my side view mirror.  Then I was faced with contending with the tangled mess on the side of the road,  pre-dawn during prime grizzly hours.  A little daunting!  I was very lucky that no one (besides the bikes) was injured.  

After that, I tried a dual hitch adapter and extended draw bar between the T@DA and tow vehicle, which was unsatisfactory for other reasons (among other things, it had a tendency to bottom out on driveway aprons going into gas stations, etc).  My final solution was to pick up an inexpensive folding bike.  Voila--no more need for a bike rack  :)
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

We carry two folding bikes with us in the van. Along with a lot of other stuff in the van. That's why I bought the van.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    I picked up this rack that attaches to hitch ball assembly. It tightens nicely around the part that goes into the receiver and hold the bikes very firmly. It also folds down and is easily removable. Highly recommend this.
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    That was good advice not to mount the bikes on the back of theY@B.  I can see it bouncing and over time falling off.  That would be very bad!

I like the receiver mount rack idea.  If it clears my bumper it should be good!  There would be minimal vibration and it should not interfere with the T@B when making sharp turns when parking.  

Does the the receiver mount rack fold down to have access to the rear of the TV?
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    Yeah, I bought a longer Ball Mount that will allow for the rack to be further out from the bumper. It really clears it with ease. The vertical rack piece folds down allowing full access to the TV tailgate area. The loading and unloading of the bikes is easier than any of the rack systems I have had in the past and there is virtually no bouncing. I included a picture of the whole setup. It's a bit hard to make out so I tried to brighten it a bit.
  • Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2015

Back to the drawing board for me.  Thought I had an ideal solution for hauling my bike.  Bought a double hitch adapter from e-trailer (http://etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=double+hitch&furl=-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-pa-1&ymm=0) and hooked up my Thule bike rack (which I love by the way).   It even lowered my 5.25 drop hitch another 2.5” so it was almost level (the Jeep Cherokee has a pretty high mount).   Perfect so I thought until I did some further reading.  I knew the towing capacity and tongue weight were cut in half but thought I would be fine, however, e-trailer makes a very clear statement that these should not be used to tow trailers.  I’m convinced this statement was added after I ordered but I probably just overlooked it.  I usually read everything pretty carefully.  As an engineer I’m very cautious of specs and these kinds of statements so for me it’s a deal breaker.  Luckily I haven’t used it so will return.

Another solution is the integrated hitch shown in previous posts but unfortunately no extreme drop.  Ideally I would need about an 8” drop but could make due with the 5.25 I have now.  I did see something on that order at HF with enough extension to weld on a hitch adapter.  Just wondering if anyone has done something like this?  Not sure why there is no product available with long drops and added hitch.  Could be simply a mechanical concern with all the extensions you have going on.  Even adding inches amplifies torque quite a bit.

I’m really not crazy with the extreme pricing of the bike rack built for a t@b and the fact it closes off the propane/battery cover but I just may have to bite the bullet or just make one myself.  Probably take just as long to make it as it would to have it ordered.

Another quick thought that just popped into my head,  wonder if most roof bike racks could be mounted with some fabricated parts in front of the propane/battery box.  Seems feasible other than cutting into your turn radius a bit.  Need to explore that one a bit.

2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I've been thinking of the Curt model at that link. We also have a Thule hitch mounted bike rack which is awesome. According to the web page:

Curt 8" Dual Purpose Ball Mount

• Combined weight rating of both receivers: 350 lbs TW/3,500 lbs GTW
    • Top receiver opening not for towing use
    • Bottom receiver for towbar or trailer use
    • Pin and clip included

Please Note:Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50%

Unless my reading skill is failing me, the bottom receiver can be used for a trailer and the top can be used for a bike rack. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom said:
    I've been thinking of the Curt model at that link. We also have a Thule hitch mounted bike rack which is awesome. According to the web page:

Curt 8" Dual Purpose Ball Mount

• Combined weight rating of both receivers: 350 lbs TW/3,500 lbs GTW
    • Top receiver opening not for towing use
    • Bottom receiver for towbar or trailer use
    • Pin and clip included

Please Note:Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50%

Unless my reading skill is failing me, the bottom receiver can be used for a trailer and the top can be used for a bike rack. 
    This all depends on your tow vehicle.  If you have a 5,000 tow capacity before attaching this model, Curt is warning you that your tow capacity would be lowered to 2,500 lbs by using this model.  Everything from your tow vehicle's rear axle to the axle of your T@B is included in that 2,500 lbs.  A T@B starts out at just under 1,700 lbs.  Just food for your thoughts on this subject. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Kevin@7 had indicated that the dual hitch receivers couldn't be used to tow trailers, and there is at least one that can. With a capable TV of course.
  • Options
    Photomom said:

That's what I thought until I read the QA from the experts.  This is where they state that a dual hitch cannot be used to tow a trailer either top or bottom even considering the mentioned TW, GTW.  They recommend the curt model #D210 for this (http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D210.html).  Not completely sure what they base this on but maybe they are making assumptions from typical trailer weights.  Would be interested in digging further on this point.  Now if they would only make the D210 with at least a 5.25" drop I'd be all set. 

• Options
    Thanks for clarifying that.The product description is certainly misleading.
  • Options
    Hmmm...as I read further the experts are sending out conflicting information.  Appears as though for one dual hitch product they state the half rule and in another state it cannot support a trailer.  The consistency in all this is 50% of TW, GTW so I would say that's the rule to follow.  In the end you have more things bouncing around and therefore more potential for something to go wrong with the extra joint so maybe best to stay away from that.  Also these hitches usually have slop which you either deal with all the racket or get a hitch silencer.
  • Options
    @Kevin@7, I keep a hitch silencer on all of the time.  It's so nice not to have that thump.  It worked with my Silver Shadow, the T@B and when I get talked into towing my brother's boat.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I agree and do own one.  It was well worth the cost and my sanity.  
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    To Lisa33 and janj92010: what folding bikes did you buy? I looked at ones years ago and it was very heavy, with tiny wheels, and riding it was more work that I was interested in. I hope better ones have been developed in recent years. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    Amazon has a lot of folding bikes at a wide price range. Everything from 20" to 26" have you checked them out?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    A Schwinn from Amazon around $250. And I highly recommend the comfy seat ordered separately.  It also comes with a zippered carry bag. Folded up, it fits well standing up in the truck bed. 

EDIT: And it is 7 speeds.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    vito said:
    To Lisa33 and janj92010: what folding bikes did you buy? I looked at ones years ago and it was very heavy, with tiny wheels, and riding it was more work that I was interested in. I hope better ones have been developed in recent years. 

We got ours from Camping World. They put them "On Sale" once in a while. My wife's bike is a 6 speed, mine is a 12. Yes, they are heavy,(for strength) they have small tires, and we had to find better seats, but for casual riding around in campgrounds they do nicely. I do not regret getting them.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited September 2015
    I got a Vilano Tempest from Amazon, used "like new" for about $150.  It has the 20" wheels, although as Cat suggested, they do have them with 26" wheels.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I bought a Montague mountain bike, 26 in. wheels and very rugged. They also make a road bike folder with 28 in. wheels but I thought the mountain model would be more useful in less improved camping areas. 
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Nice bike, John! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Verna and M2, now if I just had my T@B, starting the fourth month and calmlywaiting.  

• Options
    JustJohn -"calmly waiting" <- Modern pharma can do wonders. Make sure to give them up when your T@B arrives though.
  • Options
    PX, Vodka is cheaper and less habit forming. :D
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I love my folding bike from Camping World so much that I rarely ride by non-folder, even when home.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Not sure about the later :-)
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    I carry a small BMX bike and put inside my TAB.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston