Options

Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C: A delay in providing power is how it works…

Hi All,
I found out some interesting information today as I was prepping for a camping trip in a couple of weeks.   I noticed that when the camper was first plugged and going through the EMS no AC or DC was working for approximately 2 min 15 sec after plugging the camper into a 20 amp home circuit.  I measured twice.   I thought the converter was a problem.   However, when I used the pass through option on the EMS, the converter immediately went on.   I contacted tech support at Progressive Industries and they explained that it takes 2 min 16 seconds before power comes through the unit.   What a relief and the tech was quite generous in explaining that and more.   I learned there is a means of changing it to 15 seconds by opening the EMS unit and attaching a coupler.  I was so pleased to know everything was working as it should that I didn’t pay close attention to his “how to” discussion.   This is just one of those things that was either not in the manual or that was and I had forgotten about it.   Note, that when the power comes through to the converter you may hear a pop if there is anything drawing power.  

Happy Camping!    
2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
Wisconsin

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    The older Progressive pole one I had on my motorhome took about three minutes. The newer hardwired I installed in my 2021 T@B is 15 seconds out of the box. It shouldn't be instant as it needs to make sure the power is steady.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Our portable Progressive EMS has an audible click as well.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    I contacted tech support at Progressive Industries and they explained that it takes 2 min 16 seconds before power comes through the unit.   ...  I learned there is a means of changing it to 15 seconds by opening the EMS unit and attaching a coupler.
    Did they mention any advantage to the longer delay? Does it provide better diagnostics?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    AnOldUR said:
    Did they mention any advantage to the longer delay? Does it provide better diagnostics?

Would be no change in the diagnostics, just a longer sample time before allowing power to pass.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    AnOldUR said:
    I contacted tech support at Progressive Industries and they explained that it takes 2 min 16 seconds before power comes through the unit.   ...  I learned there is a means of changing it to 15 seconds by opening the EMS unit and attaching a coupler.

They did not say it made any difference.  

2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin