Options

gas failure light is on and I can't get it to start up.

I just purchased a 2021 tab 400.  after changing propane tank, gas failure light is on.  I have tried turning battery off and on several times, tried many times to get it to light, but no luck. the fridge is running ok on propane. as is the stove burners.  any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    We got the same “gas failure” on our earlier trip and tried everything suggested on this excellent forum to resolve the issue. Even went so far as to connect the TAB to the TV and drive around for 50 miles thinking this would free up any issue, it did not. We located a gas station that allowed us to plug into to 120 to confirm the unit was working, and it worked fine on 120. While plugged in and the unit warming things up, I again tried both propane and 120 and got gas failure again. We offered to pay for the use of their electricity, but they refused, drove around to the front of their station and filled up the TV. 
    Not wanting to spend another uncomfortable cool night (37 degrees), we purchased 2 blankets before driving back to our spot and setting up camp. 
    Tried the heater again after we were all set up and got gas failure again. 
    Went about our day, couple of hikes, fixed dinner, showered and ready for bed. One last time I tried the the heater………it WORKED. It never failed us over the next 50 nights. 
    So whatever you try and no matter how many gas failures you get, persistence pays off. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    beachman77beachman77 Member Posts: 4
    update I seem to have boiler running now, should pump be set to continuous or therm on the Alde control settings. I need hot water now but heat also later.  thanks
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Set it to Therm so the thermostat temp that you set will run the unit.  If you don't want cabin heat, turn the thermostat down below ambient.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Glad to hear it is now working for you.  Sometimes things are just finicky.  

And yes as @Sharon_is_SAM said, keep the pump on "therm."  This way the circulation pump will cycle on and off with the thermostat.  Continuous will have the pump run constantly.  And yes you can just use hot water by turning the thermostat as low as it will go or just several degrees below room or outdoor temp. 

On the flip side.  The Alde allows you to also use heat with no hot water.  Simply turn the hot water off, so the bar is completely empty.  This is nice in winter conditions after you've winterized your trailer.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    edited September 2023
    There are several other moving parts on the propane setup: the propane "pigtail" and the propane regulator.  The pigtail and regulator are sometimes the failure point for propane issues.  A regulator can "freeze" up as the temperature/weather/altitude changes.  I've replaced my regulator twice, and the propane pigtails have a huge failure rate for me, so I carry spares. 
    A couple of years ago, there were real issues with Dometic stovetops, and we learned a lot about the propane systems in the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    It also takes a while for propane to push air out of the line. Esp when the line only opens while trying to light. On my old Winnie it could 5 to 10 min for the fridge to light up after changing the tank. It would only try about 3 times then error, and I would have to try again, sometimes 3 attempts. There is also a pressure safety in the Alde, turn the gas on slowly.