Options

Camping Between Seasons

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Well, it had to happen... scope creep has started to appear in my trip planning and I m considering adding a more northward leg to my trip next month. All very tentative, but I am considering adding a few days in the Grand Tetons to my trip. So, I know it will be cold at night there, possibly into the 20‘s. Would you winterized for this? My fresh water tank is inside and I will boondock and run the Alde. Thoughts?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    One thing to consider and keep track of are the fires/smoke. My brother/wife did Mesa Verde, Canyon Lands, The Arches  and we're heading to Grand Tetons, then Yellowstone. They got to their turn north to the Tetons and it was so smoky he said it was like driving in fog so they canned it and met up with me in the Black Hills.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    One thing to consider and keep track of are the fires/smoke. My brother/wife did Mesa Verde, Canyon Lands, The Arches  and we're heading to Grand Tetons, then Yellowstone. They got to their turn north to the Tetons and it was so smoky he said it was like driving in fog so they canned it and met up with me in the Black Hills.
    Yes, thanks. I have been monitoring the webcams and this will be a major factor in the final decision. The PacNW is due for some rain this week per my weather guru. It won't help California, but should give some of these firefighters a real hand.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Good question on the internal water tank - I have the external and would winterize.
    More on the smoke - Even east of the Black Hills I've had smoke, heavy haze. Absolutely no golden hour photography for three days and today is no better. The badlands have been lost in the haze.
  • Options
    boo - You can heat tape your hookup water line but at low temps you still need to winterize you external water tank or it and it's lines will freeze.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Why not keep a healthy dose of pink stuff in the black & gray tanks?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Good question on the internal water tank - I have the external and would winterize.
    More on the smoke - Even east of the Black Hills I've had smoke, heavy haze. Absolutely no golden hour photography for three days and today is no better. The badlands have been lost in the haze.
    Keep me posted on the haze. I have a month to go but it might boil down to a last minute go/no go decision.

Why not keep a healthy dose of pink stuff in the black & gray tanks?
    Probably a good idea.

• Options
    The gray and black are no problem (antifreeze) but the external fresh water is the one I was referring to.
  • Options
    boo - Keep in mind that what the campground says may be well and good but many of the bigger rigs have heated water/piping compartments. You'll need to determine what gets exposed besides the hookup hose.
  • Options
    External tank is your fresh water tank - think you have one, can't recall - winterize and don't fill.
    The heat tape will cover your hookup hose - just make sure all the smaller pipes for the internal lines don't get too cold. I personally would not use either T@B water system and would just carry water if it got down in the low 20s overnight. 28-32, no problem - but that depends on how long it's that low.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    Jenn, per your original question, I think the only thing you'd need to winterize would be your black and gray tanks, specifically the gate valves. Run a little antifreeze out each valve so it works its way into the mechanism. As you might recall, that's where ours froze and cracked, in the gate slider mechanism.

Otherwise, at night when it's below freezing, your Tab will be relatively warm inside, so no need to winterize inside, I'd think. 

Don't depend on it staying warm inside if it's below freezing when you're towing though, it cools off pretty quickly at 55mph (been there, done that - got an icicle hanging from the faucet - grin). 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Jenn, per your original question, I think the only thing you'd need to winterize would be your black and gray tanks, specifically the gate valves. Run a little antifreeze out each valve so it works its way into the mechanism. As you might recall, that's where ours froze and cracked, in the gate slider mechanism.

Otherwise, at night when it's below freezing, your Tab will be relatively warm inside, so no need to winterize inside, I'd think. 

Don't depend on it staying warm inside if it's below freezing when you're towing though, it cools off pretty quickly at 55mph (been there, done that - got an icicle hanging from the faucet - grin). 
    Thanks.  Good suggestion on the mechanism. I think nights would be my primary concern.

• Options
    What ChanW said - I was in 10 degree weather for a week last Nov - did make sure the dump valves were well oiled with antifreeze. No problem once I got south and de-winterized.
  • Options
    @PXLateddo you leave the Alde on a low setting during the day when temps are in the 30‘s to low 40‘s or just run it when you are there?

• Options
    I will be boondocking, so hose is not an issue.

• Options
    Jenn - Yep, just left the Alde heat on at a 2.5 setting. Propane tank lasted 10-12 days running the fridge, Alde, and me cooking. That was 10 degrees at night so the Alde ran a lot.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks!

• Options
    I had one time where the tank only lasted a week but I can't remember why or what I was doing.