Options

Replacing cracked plastic surrounding shower door

I don't advise doing this while on a trip like I just did, but I decided to replace the cracked-and-falling-apart plastic U channel that surrounds the shower door in my 2018 Tab 400 with aluminum instead.

I bought two lengths of 8' aluminum 3/4" U channel at a local Lowe's, and armed with the hacksaw and a file from my RV toolbox, I managed to cut aluminum replacements for each segment of plastic channel. I measured the locations of the existing screw holes and drilled them into the aluminum channels. After assembly, the four pieces fit snugly enough that no adhesive was necessary.

One major benefit was that after the door was re-hung, the hinges were much better at supporting the weight of the door since the hinges were now screwed into the aluminum channel. Overall it feels much more securely hung than before.
2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,195
    So when we bought our 2021 400 the door had a mean warp to it. I contacted Nucamp and they sent out a new door and a bunch of aluminum channel…all painted white. Not sure why they sent it out since my issue was just the door warping but I guess they said this was an updated design vs. the plastic u-channel. So far our plastic u-channel has held up but I saved the aluminum pieces for if the plastic eventually fails.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    @manyman297 I would just replace the plastic if you have the aluminum pieces on hand. The screws for the hinges are screwed into the edge of a plywood board under that plastic channel, and in my trailer the plywood layers were starting to separate underneath the plastic channel. At the very least, the aluminum channel helps to bind the edge of the plywood layers better.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,195
    @Jilong
    I think I'll definitely look into doing that over the winter. So far the hinges are holding strong and I don't see any separation of the plys but you're right about the holding strength of the aluminum vs. the plywood for those hinges. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    WinandJackWinandJack Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your input. I think I will look for some U shaped aluminum channel and try that first before using the factory replacement trim.

• Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Just a suggestion. Lightly (with a fine sandpaper) sand the C-track lengthwise then spray with clear satin finish before cutting it. That will give you a nice finish and prevent the aluminum from oxidizing over time.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat