Options

Towing With Empty Cabin

I was reading about towing the Tab 320 S with the water tank full or empty which appears to be the owners preference. My question is in reference to the interior, Are there any weight structural limitations while towing with all of the Cushions and Lagun table assembly removed?
The weight may not be an issue, however I was wondering if anyone has information related to my question.
Carl / 2021 T@B 320 S BD / 2021 Ford Explorer XLT / Port St John, Florida
”V1 Rotate”

Comments

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    edited September 2023
    Not quite sure what you are asking?  Yes--You always should follow the weight ratings for any trailer/RV that are stamped on the plate somewhere on the trailer for empty/loaded and know how much weight you are towing for your vehicle ratings.  Water weight 8 lbs per gallon which also must be factored in to weight, as well as people, pets, food, water, etc etc.  Also tongue weight.  Dry Weight on Tab 320S is @ 1,946-1,993 lbs (more or less),  GAWR 2,900 lbs., Gross tongue weight 164 lbs.  Removing cushions and Lagun table is not going to remove much weight.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Clipper_OneClipper_One Member Posts: 40
    My question is related to the cabin interior structural integrity, I wasn’t sure if I removed the cushions with mounted wood underneath it would affect the interior structure, I thought the cushions with wood were part of the interior wooden frame structure, thus towing without the cushions may cause hitting damage. Just a thought!
    ”V1 Rotate”
  • Options
    I still am not understanding what you are planning to do— I would never remove interior structural anything.  Sounds like you need to contact Nucamp directly .  Maybe someone else will chime in.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I see no way that the cushions contribute to the structural integrity of the cabin. I think you can do whatever you want with them.
    The solidly framed interior partitions and benches probably add a bit of stiffness, but not the cushions.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    Nucamp can confirm, but I would be very surprised if the structural integrity of the camper is dependent on the cushions being in place.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    He was also talking about the wood framing on the benches not just the cushions 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Clipper_OneClipper_One Member Posts: 40
    It was just a thought, I definitely will call NuCamp tomorrow and ask about it, the cabin integrity may not apply in such small unit. I truly appreciate all of your input, it is so helpful, I have learn a lot about this Tab, and I am sure this is just the beginning.
    One more question:
    What is the best practice when it comes to towing with a full tank of water? 
    Thanks,
    Carl
    ”V1 Rotate”
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    I have pulled the trailer full going camping and empty going to maintenance over the same route. The weight has makes no difference on gas milage. The fresh water tank in the 320 is just in front of the axil. Weight does make the trailer more stable, but completely empty, it tows fine. It won't have any characteristics it doesn't have when full.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    RobSRobS Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, I have to say that towing full or empty with a T@B won't make any difference in terms of gas mileage or how the trailer tows  or anything.  I've towed my camper both empty and full and  really don't notice any difference whatsoever.  I seriously doubt removing the couch cushions makes any difference with structural integrity or weight.
    2022 T@B 320S BD
    2020 Ford Edge ST