Options

Has anyone successfully camped in a Tab320S for 2 months in the snow, electric hook up?

Hello, new owner here. I am an avid snowboarder. I plan to spend the 2months of the winter season in my NuCamp Tab320s Boondock, 2021. In California so not super cold, but then not super warm either and the snowfall last year was 20ft in one weekend. I plan to winterize it and only use the cabin for sleeping. No water, but yes to heating. I called Alde, they said I could do it, run the heater to heat the room for solid 3 months, but to watch the glycol levels if they should deplete. I have the yellow liquid, so probably Century glycol. Has anyone attempted this and been successful at it, for 2 months? I will have a propane and a full electric hook up on shore power. Any gotchas?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,665
    For your glycol question: you should have a look at your "build date" on the gray sticker on the driver's side of the tongue. The trailers after "about" mid December 2020 were switched to the "Rhomar" brand. So...don't take anyone's word for it.  (Sounds like you had a good look, though!) This is what the NuCamp notice had to say:

SUBJECT: GLYCOL CHANGE

Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers/nuCamp has been notified by Truma/Alde that they will be switching to a different brand of glycol.  This change is a requirement from Truma/Alde for new units to be eligible for warranty.   Due to this requirement, all nuCamp production units manufactured on or after the following dates will have the new glycol. This was a rolling change so if your unit started production on these dates please contact us for confirmation. 

TAB 320 S and CS-S: 12-16-2020

TAB 400: 12-22-2020

Cirrus: Week of 12-21-2020

Plenty of owners do what you are planning, and, yes, the Alde is up to the task.  There are many "winter camping" threads with the same questions. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=winter+camping+site:tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com&client=firefox-b-1-d&sca_esv=568527130&sxsrf=AM9HkKl9m-xdxffnOFuNehwQrVlC5BVjPQ:1695741153482&ei=4fQSZZaLHbPDkPIPheuO-AM&ved=0ahUKEwjW_9WIyMiBAxWzIUQIHYW1Az8Q4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=winter+camping+site:tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiL3dpbnRlciBjYW1waW5nIHNpdGU6dGFiLXJ2LnZhbmlsbGFjb21tdW5pdHkuY29tSNE5UOYJWIwycAF4AJABAJgBN6ABwwaqAQIyMLgBA8gBAPgBAeIDBBgBIEGIBgE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Smihic we survived 3 weeks in Evanston, Wyoming at or above 7,000 ft elevation. When we arrived it was 70°F daytime. When we left, it was -12°F at night. We ran the Alde on electric. While the cabin temp was tolerable, the floor was almost unbearably cold. Condensation is an real enemy at those temps. Keep the cabinet doors open for circulation. Wipe  inside cabinets and if necessary, the walls at least daily. Open the fan lid a tiny bit and keep one of the windows ajar, as in the open, but still in the secure groove. That will help. We had ice form inside on the windows after a few days at below 0°F. I suggest you run the Alde on both gas and electric, as it will take that dynamic to keep you pleasantly warm, if not toasty. 

Good luck. Jim & Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I've wondered if cutting a piece of 1/2" or thicker "blue foam board" would help out on the cold floor problem?  It's not going to last forever but it should help with the cold floor for sure and might help with condensation on the floor ????
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    Just don’t obstruct the vents at the bottom of the benches.  You need those for the Alde to heat the cabin via convection.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    True that @Sharon_is_SAM!  I had planned on notching out the foam at those locations.  When I rebuilt my Alde hose system I replaced the center bench support with a plywood box beam and installed a 3-speed computer fan near the floor.  I pull air into that box beam and then spread it out with some baffles at the back before it reaches the convectors.  It lets me stuff that bench box on the passenger side full of stuff without blocking the convection flow of air.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Et al never had any condensation on the floor at any temp, even at -12°F. A small amount formed on the window bottoms due to temperature differential. Mostly formed inside the upper cabinets, where even with the doors open, there was very circulation, and a big temperature difference from the cabin to the cabinets. We wiped everything down once or twice a day, making sure those cabinets got dry. Spent 25 cents a day to dry the towels and everything was tolerable. We had to winterize on the fly and everything  was hit and miss, but turned out fine. We used homemade doody bags, hanging 2 in the toilet with very cheap cat litter to absorb and cover. Bundled up the toilet bag daily and disposed of it. Since we were in a "closed for the winter" location and coming through the pass caused many tow vehicle problems, the owners left half a dozen pedestals working. We plugged into one, utilized the garbage dumpster and the electric dryers. Water was shut off and we made do. It is possible to survive and even be comfortable.

When we left Michigan in December 2021 in our full time 30 ft Keystone Laredo tow behind, we used these same techniques until we reached Tucson, AZ and could get water in the trailer. We are t@bbers, can make do and even enjoy adverse conditions. 

Again, good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.