Options

Tire sticker incorrect

AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
I have been looking at the forum concerning tire pressure and reading the Goodyear reference material, when I finally noticed the sticker on our 2018 T@B 400 has recommended pressures for a 14" wheel, while the trailer is running Goodyear ST205-75/15 wheels that came with it, used in 2020.
MAX on tire says 65PSI
Sticker on trailer say 50PSI
Goodyear load chart say 1600LBS per wheel should be around 40PSI...
Derp??

Comments

• Options
    EDIT   The wheels came with the trailer and are 15" wheels, we replaced the tires with ST Goodyear tires. Seems like Goodyear would know the best about load and inflation but the forum posts I have seen differ, so far.
  • Options
    The manufacturers sticker on the tongue actually say 02/2017 (we thought it was 2018) and also indicates it came with 14" wheels at 50 PSI .
    Were these wheels an option? I see photos that look like the trailer came with white steel wheels and many that have the same wheels we do.
    E-Trailer said run with the max on the tire 65 PSI.
    That Goodyear chart says that is for about a 4300LBS load, way more than we pull. This is the MAX load on the chart for this tire.
    I was running them in the 47 PSI range before, and recently did a couple trips 4 hours away running highway speed.
    No noticeable wear problems or hot tires that I have seen.
    So much info, still learning.
  • Options
    Found this about the year/make

"Good reminder @AustinRoamers. A 2018 could have come off the line in April/May of 2017, so could have some years of sitting around  on it."
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    Unlike car manufacturers that try to balance load carrying capacity, comfort and handling, travel trailer manufacturers just go for the maximum load carrying tire pressure of the OEM tire. For the larger trailers that typically makes sense because most of them are pushing the limits on axle and tire ratings. Basically trying to get away with the least expensive axles and tires.
    For small and lightweight trailers that is often not needed, and the inflation charts from tire manufacturers support that. I run ~ 46 psi with my non-boondock 320 for that reason.
  • Options
    I see the 320 weighs nearly as much as the 400, That seems more reasonable to me. Are your wheels the 14" white ones?
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
  • Options
    Update, I am running 54psi in my Endurance tires now, and I am not planning on lifting the wheels up for storage.
    I assume the info on the tire about load ratings is PER TIRE.
    This would be WELL within the load my T@B is putting on them.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    Yes, per tire,
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Right on, Happy Holidays all!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Aubrey, sounds like you got it sorted.  We run 50psi on our 2018:TaB400,with the Boondock axle and larger wheels.  The 2018 TaB400 originally came with 14-inch wheels and aluminum rims.  Starting with the 2019 model year, the TaB400, and later, Boondock models came with 15-inch wheels, which have the same 50psi recommended inflation (Rainier Apex ST 235/75R15 tires).  nüCamp is now using Goodyear Endurance 15-inch tires on 2023 TaBs.  

The TaB400’s first model year is 2018, and most were built in 2017.  Sounds like you have one of the first TaB400s with a 02/2017 build date.  We had your Jan 2018 build TaB 400 upgraded to a Boondock axle and the larger 15-inch wheels to gain some additional ground clearance.  
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I didn't realize the axle would have been upgraded, thanks. It does have good clearance and handles really well at speed, looks good too!
    Now I just need to sort out the star gazer screen my dog ripped and get some insulation around the AC ductwork to stop condensation during heat waves.
    More threads to come...