Options

Screen door string anchor popped out

Over the weekend my wife was sliding open the screen door open and the bottom of the screen door frame hit her foot while she was pulling it to open. As a result the top string anchor popped out (see pic).  Taking a quick look I don't see exactly where it was attached, does anyone have any info on this?  I asked her and looked around to see if anything else "flew off" but could not find anything.

It would be nice if I could finagle this anchor back in place with some long needle nose pliers (if I knew where it is supossed to be mounted). Or do I need to remove screen door from framing?  What are my chances that the door is shot?

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited October 2023
    Hmm. I've disassembled and restrung my door twice, and I don't recall anything that looks like that dohicky. I wonder if they've made some changes to the design.
    Please let us know if you figure out what it is.
    (@subkron, I thought I responded to this when you first asked, but just found it in my drafts. Sorry.)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    I've seen that "dohicky" on the lower corners of the windows, but haven't gotten into the screen door to see where it might go on there.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Yes those barrels have a set screw to hold onto the tension string.  I too have seen them on the windows and have had them pop out when I've tightened the tension on the windows.  On the windows they are located in the corners and can be seen when you remove the plastic covers on the corner of the windows.  I've not looked at the door to see if they have them but if one popped out then I'm assuming they are on the door as well and most likely located in the corners as well.  On the windows they simply fit into a little hole and are easy to pop back in.   
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited October 2023
    That makes sense. My door definitely had tensioners (top and bottom) but they were a different design. More like little plastic plates that slid in a track and were held with a set screw.
    Of course, the first time I restrung my door one of those broke and I had to fashion a replacement. Maybe that's why the design was changed?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    @ScottG yeah they must have changed the design in 2022 or sometime in 2021.  I looked at our early production 2021 400 and it has tensioners of the design you described.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    I have seen the same piece on the bottom of the door - I had the same thing happen in reverse where it popped out in the bottom when I was trying to straighten the side bar on the screen. I had to remove a bottom corner plate I believe and you could see a cylinder shape opening where the barrel fits in.

I recall it was not easy to get it back in because of the tension and routing of the string, but it was doable. I was worried I was going to have to remove the screen but I did not. If you remove a corner I think you may see where it goes.

Kevin