Options

Adding solar to 2021 Tab 400 BD Bluetti Panels

runlinerunline Member Posts: 32
Hi everyone, I recently purchased the PV350 solar panels from Bluetti to pair with my Bluetti AC200MAX solar generator and was wondering if I can plug directly into the solar port outside of my Tab 400 without needing to add an additional Victron MPPT Solar controller. I have the factory solar on the roof with a Victron MPPT solar controller already and was wondering if that would support the additional 350watt PV350 panel I have. If I need to add an additional MPPT controller does anyone have any guidance on how that all connects? Thanks!
SF Bay Area, CA, 2021 T@B 400 BD

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    No, you would need a separate controller for each panel.  The Victron in your trailer is only a 15 amp, which is adequate for the panel on the 400.  Your 350 amp panel would seem to need a 30 amp controller all by itself. 
    Your solar port is wired directly to the "battery distribution block" near the batteries. 
    Send a picture of where the port is, exactly. You could connect another Victron controller and network the two Victrons to monitor the battery charging, etc.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    Can you provide a model number or photo of your existing controller?  I have a 2021 320S which came with a Victron 75/10 MPPT controller which has a maximum input capacity of 145 watts.  My guess is that the factory controller on your 400 is probably not large enough to handle an additional 350 watt panel.  You would probably need to replace the existing controller with a single controller large enough to support both panels, or add a second controller. If your external panel already has a controller, you can simply connect the output leads directly to your battery.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    edited October 2023
    @runline - a typical solar panel must have a controller between it and the battery.  As pthomas745 pointed out,  the TaB solar port is wired directly to the battery as it was designed to be used with portable plug n play panels with attached controllers.  So, it is easy enough to get a second, larger amp controller for the Bluetti, then network them using the VictronConnect app.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Thank you everyone for your responses! Extremely helpful! It looks like I will need to add a Victron MPPT 100V 30 amp. I believe the existing controller (MMPT 75v 15a is that correct?) I have is located behind the drawer under the wardrobe, although I haven't physically seen it. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I confirmed I have the MPPT 75V 15A located behind the drawer under the wardrobe. The extra solar hook up is locatedon the drivers side just below the 30amp hookup
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Any suggestions on where to mount a 2nd Victron MPPT controller (if i mount it to the right of the existing one it would interfere with the drawer) and how to wire it? I suppose I can cut the 2 wires from the connector and wire it right where they are. Hope I can get access to mount it back there as its pretty far down below the drawer area.Here's a few pics of the existing controller and the space available.