Options

SmartShunt Bluetooth Range

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
edit to add:
If you have current updates to your Victron devices, the poor Bluetooth range of the SmartShunt is less of a problem because you can review your usage through the Instant Readout feature.

Should be an easy search, but I'm having trouble finding this. I have four Victron devices including a 500 amp SmartShunt. The shunt has very limited bluetooth range when trying to open it in the app. I have all four devices networked. The range matters if I try to open the shunt's display in the app, but if I view the details on the "My Devices" screen, it seems to update with live data.

Does Victron use networking to update the displayed data viewed on the "My Devices" page for all the devices as long as I'm in bluetooth range of one of the networked devices?

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    Victron's not very clear about what exactly is networked via VE.Smart. From the app, I only see devices that have enough Bluetooth signal for my phone to pick them up. It looks like your app is seeing the devices separately as mine does. If you've set up your VE.Smart system, it looks to me like the devices talk to each other via a network that's independent of your individual device's Bluetooth communication with the app. At least that's what I gather from this tutorial on how to set up a network. https://youtu.be/x7U9oZfoJpw?si=U3z5emZGS0dzjC01&t=777
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    I did an experiment that seems to confirm my network data sharing idea. I put my phone in a location that would not connect when tapping on the shunt on the Device List page. Then I plugged my NOCO Genius10 into the battery. With the phone in the same location, the Device List page showed the 9.5 amps that the charger provided. Tried again to tap on the shunt, but got the same Unable to connect error.

Wondering if it has something to do with the active data being shared, but not the History or Trend information?

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    After watching the video that @bjn2 posted, I took a look at the networking information for the MPPT controller. It reports that it's "using external battery voltage sense from" the shunt. Seems to follow that if voltage is being shared that amperage would also?

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Not sure if anyone is following but I found more information on the Victron website. The "instant readout" feature that was included in a recent update can add better range than a regular Bluetooth connection.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/stored-trends---instant-readout.html

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,202
    My shunt’s range is almost comically short. Sometimes I have to be standing next to the camper for it to connect. Solar controller is decent range but really both of them have some of the worst Bluetooth ranges I’ve ever seen.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @manyman297 do you use the Instant Read feature?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    I do. It seems to be able to show me both the shunt and controller in the instant read but then if I want to go into the shunt (which has the worst range) it won’t connect if I’m too far away.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 39
    I'm not sure I totally get this. Using the Instant Readout feature I do seem to have marginally better range to see Smart Shunt and Solar controller data, however...

I don't understand why they say, "No need to connect to the smart product"

I still need to be within bluetooth range to see my products.

The implication is that the instant read data is captured and stored locally ( on phone app ) when connected and accessible when out of range. This would be a great start to what I would like to see!....

So I have an old or second iPhone with the Victron Connect app and connected to my Wifi network. Ideally, I would like the app to capture the data at a user specified interval and save to cloud folder of my choice. Then my "remote" phone app or computer app could access and display the data. No extra devices ( other than second phone ). 

Of course, if the devices were HomeKit, Zigbee, Thread, or for that matter, Matter compatible I would be a very happy camper.

Sorry if I took this off subject...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I do. It seems to be able to show me both the shunt and controller in the instant read but then if I want to go into the shunt (which has the worst range) it won’t connect if I’m too far away.
    I think the advantage of the Instant Read is that there's no need to connect to the shunt unless I want to see my history. From the Instant Read screen I can view voltage, current, state of charge, remaining time and consumed amp hours. That covers all that I want to see most of the time and it can be seen even if out of Bluetooth range of the shunt.

For reference for anyone not familiar, you need to hit the up/down arrow to the right of each device to expand the display to include the additional information on the Instant Read page.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @fwunder I believe Victron has a cloud based service but you have to pay for it. I think the idea of capturing data at a set interval is nice but it would require a constant Bluetooth connection which would drain your phone battery. 

Then we get into how accessible the internet is when camping. 

@AnOldUR I do love having the dashboard feature and really it was the best thing they added to the whole experience. No longer am I logging into each device to get the most basic information. It’s great, but wish it had better range. For comparison sake my Mopeka propane gauge has an amazing range. I can be in our house and still get a readout with the camper a good 30 feet away behind a wall. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    bjn2 said:
    Victron's not very clear about what exactly is networked via VE.Smart. From the app, I only see devices that have enough Bluetooth signal for my phone to pick them up. It looks like your app is seeing the devices separately as mine does. If you've set up your VE.Smart system, it looks to me like the devices talk to each other via a network that's independent of your individual device's Bluetooth communication with the app. At least that's what I gather from this tutorial on how to set up a network. https://youtu.be/x7U9oZfoJpw?si=U3z5emZGS0dzjC01&t=777
    This video helped me quite a bit. Think I now understand setting up temp monitoring. Need to dig out the temp wire for my SmartShunt, connect it and then set up the network.  Ya' don't know until Ya' know. Thanks @bjn2!
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    @RTWCTS That video is a year old and looks like it predates the firmware update including the Instant Readout feature that adds "better range than regular Bluetooth connection". I can be out of the Bluetooth range of my SmartShunt, but in range of my solar controller yet still get current information for the shunt on the Instant Readout screen.

Anyone else getting the same results?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2023
    AnOldUR said:
    @RTWCTS That video is a year old and looks like it predates the firmware update including the Instant Readout feature that adds "better range than regular Bluetooth connection". I can be out of the Bluetooth range of my SmartShunt, but in range of my solar controller yet still get current information for the shunt on the Instant Readout screen.

Anyone else getting the same results?

What I gleaned from this video is different from the issue you seem to be trying to solve, Bluetooth range. 
    Where the video helped me:
    Previously I didn't see the point of adding the temp read monitor, as I was going to just manually shut down my two MMPT solar controllers in cold weather. As I now understand it, once I add temp sensor wire and they are networked with the SmartShunt the MPPTs will automatically shut down when the batteries reach a defined low temp. Thus, adding another layer to keep my three Battleborns from being damaged in cold temps but still allowing batteries to accept charge when warm enough (in addition to the built in BMS).
    Also, I previously understood that my 2 MPPTs would taper off charging based on their independent voltage readings. It appears that they will get more accurate voltage info through the SmartShunt, once the network is set up.

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun