Options

Solar or Battery Tender?

ELKELK Member Posts: 213
I was contemplating getting the trickle maintainer listed in the Teardrop shop...just so I can maintain my battery without plugging the T@B into the house current....because I don't want to overcharge it. My idea was to put up solar instead of AC while she's sitting in the driveway...and I'm sitting in her, listening to the radio with the fan on....
TOTALLY a noob when it comes to electricity.... My Max S is pre wired for Zamp...does that mean I need to put in a ZAMP battery maintainer...not the one in the Teardrop shop....? Is this the source of some of the consternation over prices ( I searched ZAMP in the forum) ?  ANy clarity will be much appreciated.
2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You can use any small solar maintainer - you may need to switch the Zamp socket battery connection as not all cells are wired the same if using that pre-wired port. You might have seen that in other solar threads. Or, just wire the solar controller directly to the battery and not use the pre-installed Zamp port.
    Some feel Zamp is overpriced others not - Don't think we want to resurrect that rabbit hole :-)
  • Options
    I am starting to get some picture of this. Is there a brand that is wired the same as the Zamp, so I can just plug it in? I don't want to do any rewiring...that I can't do anyway!!!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ELK said:
    I am starting to get some picture of this. Is there a brand that is wired the same as the Zamp, so I can just plug it in? I don't want to do any rewiring...that I can't do anyway!!!

Zamp reverses the polarity. It is not really rewiring. You simply mice the cable from the Zamp on the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal and the cable on the negative terminal to the positive.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2015
    As Jenn said, no biggy...or as Sandra mentions, it may have battery clips like any old battery charger.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Coleman 10w model has the same polarity as the zamp connector. Truly remove from box, plug and play...got mine from home depot online. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Not to complicate things, but there is one more thing to consider. Solar panels typically don't have any circuitry in them to manage the charge process. If the panel is small enough, you probably don't need a charge controller, but if the panel is larger, even as small as 10 watts, you should use a controller to ensure you don't over charge your battery. Trickle chargers are between 2 and 4 watts and don't need controllers. The panel plugs into the controller and the controller into your trailer. The Coleman unit goes for around $15 for the small controller. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    I just assumed all small packaged units had a controller of some kind.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    If you get a coleman kit, it includes what looks like a rebranded sun force controller but maw ebb is correct.  I believe they sell the panels or a kit that includes the controller.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I lied. Mine is the coleman 5w not 10w...with diode to prevent back wash (my non-technical term). Called a Sunforce but bears a Coleman logo on the box and panel.

Sunforce   5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger
    • Description
      Model:
      Internet/Catalog:
      Store SKU:

The maintenance-free Sun force 5 Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger offers an ideal way to maintain and charge 12 Volt batteries for your car, boat, RV, ATV, electric fence or deer feeder. This unit is completely weatherproof, charges in all daylight conditions and has an integrated blocking diode that protects against battery discharge at night. 4 pre-cut holes allow for easy installation, and 4 stainless-steel screws come with the unit to facilitate mounting. This unit uses quick connect technology to wire and includes a 12 Volt DC plug, battery clamps and 9 1/2 ft. of wire.

• Trickle charges and maintains 12V batteries
      • Amorphous solar panel charges in the clouds and the shade
      • For indoor and outdoor use
      • Built-in blocking diode protects battery discharge at night
      • Includes: amorphous solar panel, 4 pre-cut holes for easy installation, 4 stainless steel screws, 9.5 Ft wire, 12V DC Plug, battery Clamps, Quick Connect technology
      • Home Depot Protection Plan:
    • Specifications
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I believe, if they are marketed as maintainers, they have co trollers built in like the Coleman, Goal Zero, and Renogy models.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I ended up buying the Goal Zero maintainer in the TD SHop....Will I need to reverse the poles?

• Options
    thanks for yur help! (that Coleman 5W costs about 1/3 of what I just ordered!)

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Couldn't one use the Zamp Anderson adapter sold in the Teardrop Shop? $22

2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    There were no directions really in the GoalZero box. I just stuck it on the side of the trailer and plugged into the Zamp cable receiver...the GZ has a plug that fits right in....I assume I'm OK. Aren't I?!
  • Options
    ELK - Even though some other brands use that same plug, they reverse the pos/neg, so they are the exact opposite of how Zamp's are wired. Don't know about GZ but maybe Jenn will pipe in as she's a big GZ user/promoter.
  • Options
    When I plugged in GZ Maintainer into the Zamp port it worked straight out of the box. I did not have to swap the cables.

• Options
    Jenn- how do you know how much charge your battery is holding?

• Options
    One of these. Plugs into any cigarette style plug.  About $12. Amazon.  
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I use a similar voltmeter.  Here is a chart to help you decipher the meaning of various readings.  This chart also shows why it is important to monitor your battery's charge state.  You should avoid discharging the battery below 50%.  

Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    I use similar but my meter turns yellow at 12.4
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    thanks guys....where do you install itin the TAB?

• Options
    I have mine stuck in the cigarette lighter socket above/left of the sink - I can monitor from anywhere in the T@B or swivel it so I can see it through the front window.
  • Options
    poifect! thanks!!
  • Options
    LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    Back to the Goal Zero maintainer, I just got one. If I want to use the suction caps, I can affix it to a window and plug it in the cigarette lighter INSIDE the T@B, would this also maintain the battery? It'll be great if I could just maintain the battery with the GZ maintainer and not worry about its being stolen, as it would be outside.
    Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • Options
    Lehfeldt said:
    Back to the Goal Zero maintainer, I just got one. If I want to use the suction caps, I can affix it to a window and plug it in the cigarette lighter INSIDE the T@B, would this also maintain the battery? It'll be great if I could just maintain the battery with the GZ maintainer and not worry about its being stolen, as it would be outside.
    With only a 10w panel, you are really going to have too much filtered out. You could always attach it higher on the T@b that would make it difficult for someone to walk up and snatch it but even so, I don't think theft is highly likely.

On a side note, even with a 50w panel, I have to keep the battery disconnected from the T@b in the heart of winter to keep it maintained. I check it once or twice a week to make sure everything is as it ought to be.  Earlier this winter I forgot to disconnect the battery (I have a switch.) Thankfully, i have a large enough battery bank that it doesnt drain rapidly and I was OK. But I learned that the sun angle in winter at my location really dramatically decreases the effectiveness of solar. Once I turned off the battery switch, the solar panel had no difficulty keeping it at 100%. During summer, spring, and fall, the panel has also been sufficient to keep it topped off, even with the battery not turned off.

• Options
    LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, I moved the battery inside the house, where I maintain it, directly into the electrical system, in the basement. I won't use the GZ solar panel maintainer in the winter as Rochester, NY is one of the three least sunniest places in the U.S. in the winter!

Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • Options
    Lehfeldt said:
    Yeah, I moved the battery inside the house, where I maintain it, directly into the electrical system, in the basement. I won't use the GZ solar panel maintainer in the winter as Rochester, NY is one of the three least sunniest places in the U.S. in the winter!

I think it would be OK if you either used a battery disconnect or pulled the fuse. Really you do get enough to maintain, as long as the you remove the parasitic drain.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My maintainer arrives next week and I'll pull the fuse to stop the phantom power drain. I've waited on installing a proper switch disconnect until I've found a creative welder who can (perhaps) get a group 31 battery in the bin, plus 2 x 20# propane tanks. I'm still waffling about the 6V's like Jenn's system. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Chris_and_SarahChris_and_Sarah Member Posts: 52
    This might seem like a silly question, but does plugging into shore power actually charge the battery?

the initial question seemed to indicate that it does, but I haven't found that to be the case.  
  • Options
    It should - that's what the converter does, converts from AC to DC to power the T@B internals and charge the battery.