Options

Does Antifreeze Prevent bacterial growth?

Hello Folks - If I drain all of the plumbing but do not blow out the lines, and then fill the plumbing (Nucamp T@B 320S Boondock) with alcohol-free RV antifreeze, will the antifreeze prevent bacterial or fungal growth in the pluming for 4-6 months?  I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Freezes are rare. I don't have an air compressor. I am thinking that I will not blow out the lines but simply empty of water and fill with antifreeze. Then in the spring do a sanitation with bleach.  Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    edited October 2023
    I Googled it.
    ” With concentrations at or above 20%, both Ethylene and Propylene Glycol inhibit the growth and proliferation of most microbes and fungi.”

Here is an old article.  https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/will-your-tanks-be-clean-next-spring

The higher the burst protection, the higher the concentration and anti-bacterial effects.
    So, if you are worried about bacterial growth, don’t skimp on the burst protection/glycol concentration.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,203
    I think as long as you sanitize in the spring (and assuming you use your fresh water tank you should do that anyway) you’re covered. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    Propylene glycol is a "generally recognized as safe" substance used in many consumer products: cosmetics, food, etc.  If it was known to foster bacterial growth, it probably wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a water system.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    The tire inflator from your car will blow out the lines. Be patient, it will take a while with a pump that small.

"Generally recognized as safe" is missing "in small quantities." The concept is safe enough as long as the system is completely flushed before using any of the water. We get much harder freezes in north Texas than you do in the bay area. I don't use anti-freeze. Once the water is blown out and the pump is emptied, there in little in the trailer to freeze. Restoring the trailer for use takes minutes.

Buying a small compressor would pay for itself several times over compared to the cost of winterizing and de-winterizing once.

Only a thought.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"