Options

Brakes grabbing

den1jenden1jen Member Posts: 15
We just recently finished our 1st trip to Cloudland Canyon in GA, roundtrip of ~400 miles. On the return trip I noticed the trailer brakes grabbing at slower speeds, I tweaked the brake controller (Tekonsha P3) settings; but they still grabbed. They were both I would say somewhat hot. 

I decided to check/adjust them so I tightened them down till couldn't move and backed off 5 clicks or so till I could spin the hub moderately to 1 revolution. I also noticed both were missing dust caps (2 per side) and one of the EZ lube covers was not properly installed. 

I am going to review the brake controller settings and then go out for test drive this weekend. So, what do you adjust yours to, also do you have the dust caps installed?

Thanks
DJ

2023 Tab 400 BD
2023 Ram 1500 crew cab

Comments

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    I tighten the star wheel adjuster until the wheel doesn’t move, then back off enough for the wheel to do a half turn or so.

Don’t know about the dust caps or the EZ lube cover.

At least you’re not using the Curt Echo brake controller. Talk about grabbing!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I had a weird heat issue when I first bought our 2021 400. The passenger side wheel would get much hotter than the drivers. 

After doing a thorough electrical diagnosis (which revealed nothing wrong) I came to the conclusion that the driver’s side linings are out of round…so there’s less surface area in contact with the drum. The problem was the driver’s side all along and not the hotter passenger side. 

While adjusting the brakes (I compensate by adjusting the driver side to grip slightly more than the passenger side and that has seemed to work for the last two season) I noticed they’re very sensitive to adjustment. I actually adjust them so I can get nearly a couple of revolutions out of them. And then I adjust my brake controller accordingly. This tends to keep the temps in a more moderate range. 

Dust caps should be present. Dust and dirt can contaminate the axle grease.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Thanks for replies, now that you mention it @manyman297 my driver side also felt out of round. Makes sense about backing brakes off and using brake controller to compensate. 

At some point early next year will probably do complete brake job (it has been awhile since I have done drum brakes.... getting lazier as I get older) and maybe repack as we are looking to head to Alaska to visit our oldest son who lives in Healy. 
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    Not knowing the history of the trailer I'd guess the brakes were not used in a long time or maybe never and you just bedded them in on your trip. Hence they starting working better. What do you have the "boost" set to in the brake controller ? I'd probably turn it off for a light trailer to start with.
    "Dust caps" probably refers to the plugs in the backing plate in this context although more commonly it describes the covers for the axle bearings. The backing plate covers are not critical, in fact they are missing on my trailer as well.
  • Options
    @Grumpy_G the tab was new 2023 so probably had very little mileage and will verify boost tomorrow. Sorry about terminology. I still will probably get some covers as might help keep some curd out. 

Thanks
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    The manuals used to say "adjust the brakes on a new trailer after xxxx miles.'  Besides adjusting your controller, you may need a simple brake adjustment.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks pthomas, I will review the links.
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab
  • Options
    Update - I went for test drive and brakes seemed to do fine.

On our return trip last week I was adjusting the controller in the holder and must have accidently pressed the boost button and toggled it to setting 3 which is not needed for these trailers, hence the brake grabbing.... 

Thanks

2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab