Options

Thermacell Repellent Camp Lanterns

Is this worth $50.00?  Works well?

Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't have the lantern but do have the small portable and it works well. Someone here in the forum with the lantern was disappointed with the amount of light it put out as I recall.
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118

I am more interested in the mosquito repellent capability.

Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jimbo said:

I am more interested in the mosquito repellent capability.

I have the portable one and it is the most wonderful invention!  My brother put one between us (about 5' from each of us) in the woods this spring while we were turkey hunting.  After about a minute or so, no more swatting of mosquitos. 

The mosquitos were thick at the CRA and at Tearstock this year, except around those of us who had Thermocells.  I carried mine with me when going to another campsite so I was relatively bite free for the three weeks that I camped.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    We tried the lantern. It seemed to work.

We weren't comfortable with the possible toxicity of the fumes. The info that comes with it says to not breathe the fumes, which made us wonder exactly what was in it.

Also, you're limited to buying the repellent packets only from the manufacturer, as well as the necessary butane cartridges. I've often refilled butane cartridges, but these are near impossible. More $$$ and more landfill waste.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    If you're not really interested in the light from the lantern, I'd get the portable one, more versatile and refills are relatively inexpensive considering the mosquito agrevation relief it provides.
    ChanW - The vapor warning is probably like the "do not remove" tags on pillows :-) ... Unless I put my nose right down on it, I can't smell anything. So what do you use to repel the big M?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah well, "probably" isn't a real reassuring way to deal with inhaling unidentified bug repelling vapors. I'd feel better if they'd tell me what exactly it is they don't think I should inhale. Then I could decide for myself! 

Me? I just refrain from showers... Keeps them skeeters a good distance!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    PX - when you refer to the portable one, which one is that?  The one I am asking  about is very portable.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2015
    I have used both and they both performed reasonably well.  I purchased the portable model on Amazon prime and took it along on my recent trip to Alaska.  Let me provide my experience with the portable unit and a qualifier as well.  

First of all there is no unit that will keep all mosquitoes away in a very wet or humid area where wetlands are nearby or there is a heavily forested area that experienced an abundance of rain and moisture over a season.  I found this out in Michigan's upper peninsula on my way out to Alaska in late July.  The Thermacell unit performed admirably until the sun began to set.  It was at this time that mosquitoes began migrating into the campground, sucked up my Thermacell unit and literally pitched it into the underbrush alongside our camp site.  NOTHING could touch these hungry carnivores and my buddy Tom and I made an amazingly quick retreat back into the comfort and safety of our Little Guy trailers for the night!  There was no beating this pack of mosquitoes and the campground host warned us early on to expect an invasion that would make our stay less than desirable.  Talk about an infestation and major disappointment!

But on the flip side the Alaskan mosquito fear implanted in us was way off the mark.  Mosquitoes up in Alaska this year was a non-issue and after buying up additional mosquito repellent on-line and a head covering, none of it was warranted or necessary.  Yes, I did apply some mosquito lotion to my ankles at times but this was more for the no-seeums as the Thermacell performed well and provided a blanket type coverage within 15' of my trailer.  The Thermacell unit does work under normal conditions, but will be challenged in areas where a heavy mosquito hatch has occurred.  There is nothing known to man short of a major forest fire that can stop a heavy force of invading mosuitoes!  We used our Thermacell units along the trail and all of us were happy with the performance of these units.  I like my Thermacell and do use it frequently when I am enjoying time outdoors and as needed to keep these pesky critters at bay.

Hopefully this will help you out Jim as it is money well spent when taking into account the criteria listed above.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Jimbo said:
    PX - when you refer to the portable one, which one is that?  The one I am asking  about is very portable.
    Jim, the portable one is the one without the light. A good accessory sold for it is the canvas carrying case so you can clip it on your belt, on a chair, etc. it does not work well as you hike, but it works well in the garden while picking tomatoes. So, the slower the body movement, the better it works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for the info on the extreme mosquito pack! I'm glad I wasn't there!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    The only thing worse than a mosquito invasion is flies. Flies just look at the Thermacell and laugh themselves into convulsions.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I agree, PXLated. Lemon Eucolyptus Oil (sold under different manufactuerers) is a great thing for the flies and no see ums. I spray it on my ankles and behind my knees and I'm good to go. I found it in Walmart's camping section around the Thermocells 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Will have to look for that - My big problem is when I'm shooting, I'm in and out a lot and one or two sneak in every time I open the screen to get in. Finally stopped at a good old farm store and bought some of those old time sticky strips. Gets them all eventually.