Options

Demco eZ-Latch coupler Upgrade (TAB 320 BD)

2»

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 493
    edited December 2023
    A tip for anyone else about to try drilling a new coupler.  Getting the holes drilled accurately is very important.
    Use the baseplate as a template:  Line up the circular cutouts for the jack and clamp in place.
    Use a drill stop like these https://a.co/d/bAncDW3
    picking the one that fits snugly in the holes in your template. Take out the setscrew.  Drill through the drill stop to get an accurate pilot hole.  Then open up those pilot holes to the finished size.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I decided to fill the gaps on my Demco coupler with a couple of 2" x 6" rectangles of 1/2" thick steel. I drilled two holes that align with the two rear holes in the coupler and tapped them for securing with 1/2-13 x 3/4" bolts. I painted the spacers black and the bolts are secured with blue threadlock compound. There's roughly a 1/16" gap behind the plate, so potential shear movement is limited. I considered bolting through the sides of the frame, but the rear bolt hole would intersect with the rear vertical bolt. The A-frame terminates before the front side hole, so I didn't make the spacer for full coupler's side length.

Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 49
    edited March 10
    So one thing not really addressed in this thread so far is how well the Demco coupler works compared to the original coupler. As with most people, we’ve had trouble hitching our 400 on occasion. If it was just me, I wouldn’t worry about it, but my wife has had some real issues getting the trailer uncoupled. Any feedback from those who have done this upgrade?

I like the idea of replacing the original coupler with the Demco for two reasons, first to get the easier coupling and second to extend the coupler an inch or two for that extra room to the tow vehicle.
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    Could someone who has a Demco coupler make a measurement for me?  What is the distance from the center of the jack hole to the center of the ball?  It looks like it might be longer than with the original equipment (which would be nice).
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 29
    rh5555 said:
    Could someone who has a Demco coupler make a measurement for me?  What is the distance from the center of the jack hole to the center of the ball?  It looks like it might be longer than with the original equipment (which would be nice).
    It was in my first post. Not an actual measurement though. I included this picture showing the increased length. I can get an actual measurement after work today if needed. 

2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia
  • Options
    edited March 11
    So one thing not really addressed in this thread so far is how well the Demco coupler works compared to the original coupler. As with most people, we’ve had trouble hitching our 400 on occasion. If it was just me, I wouldn’t worry about it, but my wife has had some real issues getting the trailer uncoupled. Any feedback from those who have done this upgrade?

I like the idea of replacing the original coupler with the Demco for two reasons, first to get the easier coupling and second to extend the coupler an inch or two for that extra room to the tow vehicle.
    The Demco EZ-Latch is way better than the yoke style coupler that came with my Tab 320s. The yoke style is very sensitive to pressure on the ball before it will release. The Demco EZ-Latch doesn't care. No more backing up to center ball to disconnect. This video details each type. 

https://youtu.be/bpz3qZEnOQQ?si=NP1rtBaD1KvuE8ha

2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    Georgia
  • Options
    @sportcoupe, a measurement would be much appreciated
  • Options
    @rh5555 My new Demco is 12" from the center of the jack hole to the center of the ball.  The factory coupler was shorter, ~10.75"
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    Georgia