Options

Leaking Alde Flow Tank - how to bypass it

ChristyTChristyT Member Posts: 3
We have a 2021 Tab 400 Boonedock that we bought used one year ago.  We live in a cold climate, so winterizing is necessary from November thru March.  Everything seemed to be fine this past spring.  We took several trips and had no leaks.  Then this fall we noticed a leak coming out the right rear stabilizer area and tracked it to the Alde Flow box.  The leak only happened when the water pump was turned on, so water was leaking, not glycol.  Also, the glycol level never dropped.  The leak is not from the glycol or the water line connections, but coming out underneath the Flow box itself.  It would drip about a gallon overnight with the pump turned on.  I bit the bullet and decided to remove the Flow box.  I pinched off the glycol lines, removed the water lines, and removed the Flow box to my workshop.  I then put it under water and added air pressure to one water line while sealing up the other water line.  It held pressure and no air bubbles came out around it or anywhere.  So I reassembled/reinstalled it, only to find it was still leaking from the bottom of the Flow box, just as before.  I'm afraid I need a new Flow box, but am unsure why I couldn't find a leak in it in my workshop.  This is a $750.00 part and I am hesitant to replace it when I can't get it to leak under pressure, submerged in water.  So, what am I missing here?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    There are two yellow flapper valves in your trailer.  Are you sure this leak (the water under the trailer) is not coming from the yellow valve associated with the Flow? Is water leaking into the floor of the trailer?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    No, it is not coming from the yellow flapper valves.  It is first showing up on the platform the Flow box sits on, which is several inches higher than the floor level, then it appears to be going through a screw hole in the vinyl floor directly under the Flow box platform and exiting out the right rear stabilizer attachment area.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Not sure where you got the price for the Flow box, but nuCamp now has a "store" on their website that is selling some Alde pieces parts.  You may inquire (help@nucamprv.com) if they will provide the box.  The other suggestion is seeing if you can bypass the box completely.  The Alde 3020 HE works quite well without the Flow.  The Flow preheats the water and just allows for a longer hot shower. 

https://shop.nucamprv.com/product-category/parts/vendor-component
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your reply.  We did contact them again about the box and they just referred us to a dealer.  We are considering bypassing the box, but have not made up our minds on that yet. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Let us know the outcome.  If the bypass is fairly easy, it gives other owners with the same issue more repair options.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Same thing is happening on my daughter's 400. Yes, you can just bypass the Flow tank. We will be doing that until we replace the Flow tank. She is a solo camper so she may not even need the extra capacity of the Flow. 
    The bypass is easy. Simply disconnect the cold water in line going in to the flow tank and the water intake line that goes from the Flow tank into the main Alde unit. Then connect the cold water in line that was connected to the Flow tank in to the input side of the main unit. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    edited March 3
    For those that may need to, here's how you bypass the flow tank. It now operates like an Alde without the Flow tank.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    jenilandjeniland Member Posts: 6
    I had a similar issue when I winterized my TAB 320. I had noticed a small leak while my friend was taking a shower and then when I was pumping in the antifreeze it started leaking at the edge of the camper near the stabilizers. I'll look into by passing the Flow Box. I hope that is the issue. It was leaking on both sides which was quite concerning. Thanks so much for this information! Very helpful and I hope it solves our problem.