Options

3D printed knob for Maxxair fan to save my noggin (320 S BD)

bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
edited December 2023 in Tips & Tricks
I put some foam bumper material around the wood frame for our Maxxair vent fan and I also wanted to replace the 3-winged knob with something less likely to leave a divot in my head. I found a couple of 3D-printable .stl files at Thingiverse. One was a slightly modified version of the standard 3-winged Maxxair Maxxfan knob. The other file had a round knob for use with another Maxxair fan model. I merged the round knob from one file with the pull-down shaft element from the other. I received the 3D printed part from Shapeways today and, to my great surprise, it fits and works (this is the first time I've remixed a 3D design). I specified Dark Gray PA12 Glass Beads for the printing material. Since I just installed the knob, I don't know how the material will work for longevity. With shipping, my part cost about $30.

The STL mashup I created is here: 
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6387229

These images show the installation:

Above: the standard wingnut has intersected with my head several times. When you remove the screw and the knob assembly, transfer the cast metal shaft to the new knob. It will click into place.

Above: the material has a textured finish. Provides a good grip for adjusting the vent cover.

Above: the wood frame on our 2023 320 S BD gouged my head several times. I installed a foam bumper using this kit from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2V22QM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  

It looks like NuCamp was able to mount the new ceiling fan without a wood frame in the new 2024 320 trailer. That should improve head clearance and reduce head banging. From videos, it looks like the knob is now round and NuCamp has oriented it kitty-corner so that it's out of the main traffic area (video image capture below).

Utah-based
2023 T@B 320 S Boondock

Comments

• Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Great idea!  Thanks for showing this.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    hye4tabhye4tab Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for sharing this tip but frankly, this is way over my head.  LOL.  I do have a question about the fan tho.  I had the fan upgraded to the one you shown here but lately, I hear a slight noise coming from the fan blades, do you or have you done anything to maintain it's optimal performance?  Is there anything that I (electronically kinda dumb dumb) can do to keep the fan working well?  Thanks in advance!  KC
    2022 320 CS BD
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I too have noticed fan noises, rubbing of something somewhere.  Once I increase the speed for a few minutes and then decrease to where I want it, they seem to resolve themselves.  Not the best solution.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    @hye4tab our fan hasn't had much run time and we haven't had any noise issues with it yet. I do remember getting a couple of leaves and twigs inside that made a noise until I removed the screen to remove them. 
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock