Options

Supporting camper when re-lubing the axle?

We've had the camper for 2yrs come this March, maybe put just north of 1500 miles on it and plan to re-lube this spring.  Our driveway is a bit sloped (nothing super steep, maybe 10deg or a bit less) and I'm a touch concerned about the bottle jack tipping while we're working because only one wheel will be chocked.

I'm thinking I can mitigate that possibility by leaving the tow vehicle hitched up to the camper, is this a good idea?  While I'd love to do the work on a flat surface, so there'd be less concerns, short of doing the work in an empty parking lot (and probably attracting the attention of the local PD, even though it'd be for an empty business) I don't have a level spot available.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2023
    Yes, hitch up to your tow vehicle.

Bottle jacks can tip.  Wheeled auto jacks roll to align with the load.  Either can and often will sink down if under load for an extended time while you work!  Hence the need for jack stands... but the tiny Nucamp jacking plate leaves no room.

There are myriad solutions on the forum.  I tried a combo jack/ stand and found that two brands vomited out their Hydraulic fluid quite reliably while lowering under load. 

Rejected and built a rig for longterm use.
    Not something everyone will do, but please take precautions against dropping one side while you are wrenching. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17160/trailer-jacking-rig-tubesteel-fabrication#latest

While you have the wheels and hubs off, inspect the electric brake wires for slack that would allow them to chafe on the tire and cause brake failure.  It appears many years' worth of builds loosely  secured these wires to axle under the scrim with one or two  tywraps.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17161/why-did-why-will-your-brakes-suddenly-fail-on-one-side-lifesafety-issue#latest

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 217
    edited December 2023
    @Maxcamp8 I rather like your "jack bar," any chance you've gone into commercial production?   :)
    I have a tendency to buy "tools" for projects, often well before I might need them, I might start looking for a shop that could at least do the welding for me to duplicate your design.

I really wish I had a space big enough (a nice pole barn or something) I could put the camper in to do some of the maintenance work, rather than having to do it in my driveway.  We've got an HOA that's generally lenient, but I think if I start having to keep the camper in the drive for a couple days, they might get cranky.  LoL

[Edited 2023-12-30 @ 0912 to add]
    And what do you know, I found a place about a 30-45 minute drive from the house, that rents out by the hour / day / week garage space for working on vehicles.  Just need to contact them to see if they allow working on trailers / campers.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    edited February 19
    @Jay_and_Kat, your comment about a DIY garage got me to look for one here.  Found (the one and only) 50 minutes away and promptly did some work on my 2012 Tacoma.  Seeing up front the rusted out attachment points and seizing components led to replacement with a 2023 model and multiple visits to install truck improvements.

Two obstacles to hoisting a TAB on a four-post lift: acceptably jury-rigging two front posts with something to support the TAB front end from one center point; and limits of shop bay height clearance.  My contractor cap reaches 6.6' above floor and maxxes out the shops' one high-clearance bay and cannot be hoisted on the other auto bays.  Shop owner is rightly vigilant about hoisting safety.

I heartily endorse getting under your TAB and your TV to understand condition and weaknesses that could lead to challenges on a long trip.  A week or two to recover from all that crawling around (oof...) , and you can get to work on the fixes.  I put lawnmower wheels on a cheap auto creeper that has an adjustable headrest.  A lifesaver along with magnetic bolt trays and white canvas under the work area so you don't drop things in the grass.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    @Maxcamp8 my thought, if we do take the camper to the DIY garage space would be to still use either my bottle jack or floor jack to hoist up the camper, rather than the garage' lift.  It'd be more just so we'd have a flat, warm(ish) spot to work on the camper.

But, we've also decided that once we get a warm weekend, we're going to give it a go in the driveway, with just the bottle jack for now.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    The tow vehicle should keep it from moving.

Sometimes I put down the stabilizers after raising the trailer with the jack. Sometimes I use two jack stands. The more feet on the ground, the less likely it is to move.

You could consider parking on the grass temporarily. Put a foot long 2x6 under the jack to prevent making a hole. Use some corrugated cardboard as a work surface. It will help when you drop things....
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    I'd park on the lawn, but we've got a fire hydrant in the way...
    Jay and Kat