Options

Can the stabilizers safely support the weight of the T@b for a short time?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
After unhitching and lowering the jack to the ground (or to a block of wood) and moving my TV away, I decided that I should have put the dolly wheel on before unhitching so that I could move the T@b just a bit. Would it be safe to raise the jack up enough to slide the dolly wheel on, leaving the weight of the T@b to be supported by the four stabilizers? 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    On one hand many will tell you not to use the stabilizers as levelers...on the other hand the LG instructions say to lower the tongue, lower the rear stabilizers, then raise the tongue and put all the weight on the rear stabilizers and tongue (if I did this I'd also lower the fronts)... So I think you're OK.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I know of a few folks that once they are level and stabilized, they raise their wheel front wheel up. As long as you are also on your tires, you should be OK, but NEVER use the stabilizers to jack up a tire. When I replaced my jockey wheel, I also had my camper on both tires and all four stabilizers. I think you will be fine.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I raise the front of mine, weight on rear stabilizers to remove both wheels for garage entry then lower the T@B after mounting cut down rims..  The manual says it's acceptable so I do it.
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    What would happen if the weight was on the stabilizers? ANd how can they level the trailer without taking weight?

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ELK - They're not meant to "level" the T@B just to stabilize it once it's level by other means (blocks or whatever) - to keep it from wiggling as you move around inside.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I've used the stabilizers as the manual says, 'drop the tongue all the way to the ground, lower the rear stabilizers, then crank the tongue jack up, to lift the wheels'... Haven't had a problem with it.

Some folks have suggested that this might be an error in the manual, but I guess I'm waiting for LG to "print a retraction", if that's the case.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Thinking that once the stabilizer is all the way down (kind of locked in max position) might be different than say trying to crank the T@B up as in leveling it - Ya think?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, I agree PXL. Any time I try to crank too hard on the stabilizers, it's clear they aren't made for lifting.

I think they'd fail mechanically, the screw thread would strip or lock up, if they were pushed too hard.

I would like to have LG's opinion on this bit of instructions in the manual (can you get their attention on it, Mike or Verna?)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    LG stands by their instructions of temporarily using the stabilizers to assist in changing a tire. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but you guys have read it. I talked to Scott Hubble at length about tire changing at Tearstock. We did not discuss using the stabilizers for anything other than stabilizing for daily use and for tire changing. 

For me, I will use an 8 ton bottle jack if I need to change a tire.  It's my personal solution, and what I am comfortable with. You guys can use the stabilizers as described by LG or use a jack. Be very careful either way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Verna...after going through the recent learning process that the lug nuts are different on the spare than the regular tires, I thought about using my bottle jack from my Tacoma on the T@B.  Anyone have suggestions here to place it?  Axle?  Frame?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    A reminder about putting a jack under the Tab is that Alko, the axle manufacturer, says to never put the jack under the eccentric tube axle. Put it under the frame or a brace, or use a large block of wood to spread the weight on the axle.

Lifting there could easily dent the tube, which would damage the spring part of the suspension system.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you did use the stabilizers while changing a tire, wouldn't you just lower them on the side of the trailer that has the flat tire? In that case much of the trailer weight would be supported by the good tire which is still on the ground.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Verna...after going through the recent learning process that the lug nuts are different on the spare than the regular tires, I thought about using my bottle jack from my Tacoma on the T@B.  Anyone have suggestions here to place it?  Axle?  Frame?
    Read what Chan just wrote after your comment. Use the frame for your jack. I would place the jack either directly in front of or directly behind the affected tire under the frame.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The manual says to lift both tires at the same time if using the stabilizers.

Note, you aren't really lifting with the stabilizers, you're lifting with the tongue jack. That is. You don't crank on the stabilizers to lift the weight, you crank on the tongue jack.

I'd follow the book on that, rather than straining the stabilizer on only one side.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    That makes sense. So the stabilizers can handle the weight of the entire back, but they just can't be cranked to lift that weight up--the tongue jack will. ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    wizard - That's pretty much it - Just make sure the stabilizers are cranked all the way down - not sure they'd hold the weight otherwise.
  • Options
    I just tried it and it worked without a problem. I had the stabilizers down, cranked the jack up enough to slide the dolly wheel on, then cranked the stabilizers up just a bit. Then I moved the T@b a few feet (I have just had my driveway and surrounding area redone with all new asphalt and was advised not to leave the T@b in one spot for too long during the first month while the asphalt fully cures). Then I lowered the stabilizers all the way down (onto 8x8x2 blocks of wood), then raised the dolly wheel up and slid under the wheel another block of wood. I know the T@b is not heavy, but I still find it infinitely easier to move around with the dolly wheel than with having to lift and carry the jack. I guess I will go through this little exercise weekly until I reach at least a month with the new asphalt unless I take it on the road sooner. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    When some axle work was being done at the factory on my T@b, they had the weight on the tongue and the rear stabilizers while BOTH wheels were off the trailer.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    When some axle work was being done at the factory on my T@b, they had the weight on the tongue and the rear stabilizers while BOTH wheels were off the trailer.
    Thankfully they weren't on the shoulder of an interstate with the 18 wheelers whizzing by. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dougsarmdougsarm Member Posts: 5
    Haven't ordered our TAB yet, but in this discussion of changing tires, how hard is it to find a tire repair or replacement shop when your on the road?
    Dougsarm
  • Options
    dougsarm said:
    Haven't ordered our TAB yet, but in this discussion of changing tires, how hard is it to find a tire repair or replacement shop when your on the road?
    Dougsarm
    AAA+RV was there in about 45 minutes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Luckily I haven't had to use them but I've got the AAA+RV also. Wouldn't leave home without it :-)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    According to Bal. Stabilizing jacks are rated 700 lbs lifting and 1000 lbs load per Jack. The answer to the OP would be yes.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I've now left the T@b on the stabilizers twice (of course the bulk of the weight is still on the inflated wheels) while raising the jack to put the dolly wheel on and off and its worked fine. No sagging or sounds of strain on the stabilizers. I bought a bottle jack as a just in case thing so that if I ever needed to change a wheel I have a way to support the T@b. But I only would be doing this if I was unable to call AAA. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    WrossWross Member Posts: 19
    Ddougsarm said:
    Dougsarm
    Ddougsarm;
    if you call AAA or a similar service you will find fairly universal tow service almost everywhere on interstate highways. If you go to Goodyear.com or Michelin you will finf a dealer locator for tire stores.
    there is natiowide coverage. I own Walker Tire and Automotive, we are in Austin TX
    we dispatch our truck 24x7 in our coverage area with a 2 hour "roll time" in our area of coverage.
    you will find similar coverage across the country. We do charge more for night or weekend calls.

walter 
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    PXLated said:
    wizard - That's pretty much it - Just make sure the stabilizers are cranked all the way down - not sure they'd hold the weight otherwise.
    They will-even if part way down.  I do it every time I take the T@B out of the garage, jack it up enough to put a block under the frame near the wheels, let the front jack down and extend the stabilizers again and get the hubs high enough to put the wheels on and I'm ready for the road!
  • Options
    It works till it doesn't :-)
  • Options
    ApopejoyApopejoy Member Posts: 14
    After reading these comments and manual instructions I take it no one recommends a girl undertake to change a TAB tire on the side of the road?  It sounds like it would be difficult even for a guy. 
    Max S. Tumb@lweed, north Texas. 
  • Options
    Apopejoy - I think either male or female "could" do it. But if you're a traveler, one should probably have a roadside assit plan like AAA+RV so it's easier to not mess with it.