Options

Can the stabilizers safely support the weight of the T@b for a short time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @Apopejoy unless you have really good upper body strength I think it would be awfully difficult for most people to get the spare off the "standard" location under the trailer, and put a tire back there. Lots of people move it to the trailer tongue or carry it in their tow vehicle, but the tire still weighs 40 pounds or so. So roadside assistance is a good idea, but you should still know what the correct procedure is, since the mechanic who comes out may not be familiar with T@Bs.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    For assistance, you just need to make sure they jack under the frame, not on the axel.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have changed a tire in my driveway, I have changed a tire in a campground. I will not change a tire on the side of the road. I'm not quick at changing the tire, very deliberate, making sure everything is done correctly and in the proper sequence, but the passing cars and trucks buffeting the T@B with their passing breeze is enough to make me wait on AAA.  As a solo traveler, it is safer to wait. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've had my T@B on both wheels and all four stabilizers while replacing or doing changes to my jockey wheel. When we changed out the bearings (took both to a shop to press the old ones out and the new ones in), had the trailer on a hydraulic jack and two jack stands and all four stabilizers.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Verna said:
    I have changed a tire in my driveway, I have changed a tire in a campground. I will not change a tire on the side of the road. I'm not quick at changing the tire, very deliberate, making sure everything is done correctly and in the proper sequence, but the passing cars and trucks buffeting the T@B with their passing breeze is enough to make me wait on AAA.  As a solo traveler, it is safer to wait. 
    I'm the same Verna. Would rather let a pro handle it for me. Although I have Good Sam.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ApopejoyApopejoy Member Posts: 14
    Thank you for sound advise. I agree that I should know what to do to not hurt the TAB and most likely the service personnel won't know. I can see it all now...when the little ol' lady in tennis shoes ( golf shoes) tells them how to do it
    Max S. Tumb@lweed, north Texas. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    If you can change a car tire, you can change a Tab tire, whether you're male or female doesn't seem to matter. Place the jack in the right spot, like you'd need to on a car, and you'll be fine.

The difficult part is wrestling the dang spare off the bottom of the Tab, if that's where you store it. 

I'm a 'boy' and I haven't found any kind of easy way to do that, so I moved ours up to the tongue.

I also will (carefully) use the stabilizers to lift the flat tire, and not bother with a jack. YMMV
    Edit: as Bob explains below, you should not crank on the stabilizers to actually lift the Tab, 

The LG manual describes the lifting procedure something like the following:

• Block both of the Tab's wheels so they can't roll
    • Slightly loosen the lug nuts on the wheel that needs to be removed
    • Unhook the trailer from the TV
    • Lower the tongue of the Tab as far as it will go
    • Crank the rear stabilizers down to the ground
    • Use the tongue jack to lift the Tab's wheels off the ground
    • Remove and replace the tire
    • Lower the tongue jack and replace the tire blocks to keep the Tab from rolling
    • Lower the tongue the rest of the way and raise the rear stabilizers
    • Tighten the lug nuts to the correct torque.
    I've used this method a number of times, and it works well. And quickly.

Messing with a jack under the frame is much more difficult, IMHO.

Of course, If you're stuck on a busy highway without enough space to feel comfortable doing all that, call for help!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited June 2016
    The reason the stabilizers shouldn't be used to lift is because of the way they move.  As the ground contact pad moves up or down, it also moves fore or aft.  When the pad contacts the ground and begins to support the trailer, it can no longer move horizontal because of the weight prevents it from sliding along the surface.  If you continue to crank, something has to give and it is usually the diecast nut that moves the arm.
    You will notice that on trailers that have leveling jacks that the posts move down perfectly vertically. 
    The stabilizers are fully capable of supporting the weight of the T@B and occupants but are not designed to lift anything.
    The LG method of lifting the T@B is absolutely valid.
    BTW - I also recommend AAA+RV.
    Have fun!!
    Bob
    SUNT@B

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    rfuss928 said:
    The reason the stabilizers shouldn't be used to lift is because of the way they move.  As the ground contact pad moves up or down, it also moves fore or aft.  When the pad contacts the ground and begins to support the trailer, it can no longer move horizontal because of the weight prevents it from sliding along the surface.  If you continue to crank, something has to give and it is usually the diecast nut that moves the arm.
    You will notice that on trailers that have leveling jacks that the posts move down perfectly vertically. 
    The stabilizers are fully capable of supporting the weight of the T@B and occupants but are not designed to lift anything.
    The LG method of lifting the T@B is absolutely valid.
    BTW - I also recommend AAA+RV.
    Have fun!!
    Bob
    SUNT@B
    X2  The stabilizing jacks are rated at 1700lbs each. A total of 6800 lbs.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun