Options

Campgrounds All My Own

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited September 2015 in Camping & Travel
For the fifth time in the last few weeks I've had a campground all to myself. Since I do so much boondocking, that represents 50+%. It's partially that most aren't self contained but still.
1) NE SD - It was designated a state park, sat high on a bluff overlooking a reservoir. It had nice shade trees, central water and vault toilets. Nobody there.
2) NE SD - A Foerst Service site. Great views of huge rock formations. Had nice shade, vault toilets. No water but it did have a central electrical box so you could recharge things. Nobody there.
3) Hot Springs, SD area - COE site. Nice and clean but no shade, no water, just vault toilets. Nobody there.
4) Badlands, SD - BLM land just north of the Wall, SD entrance to Badlands Nat. Park - You open a barbed wire gate, drive up the hill and you're on the rim overlooking part of the badlands. I parked 20 ft from the edge (I don't drink/wobble or sleep walk). This is raw land, bring your own whatever so true "boondocking". No shade but always a nice breeze. Woke up to antelope grazing 100 yards away. - I'm somewhat cheating on this one as there was another camper but their rig was way north of where I was.
5) The Big Mo - COE site. Have a bunch of shooting I want to do not too Far East of the Missouri River in central SD but it's been too hot -103 today - to be out in the middle of nowhere with no shade so headed for campgrounds on the river. Nice clean, but older, campground on a high bluff overlooking the river. Nice long, level paved pads with small but effective shade trees. No water and just vault toilets. Nobody here.

There's another campground down river a short ways. Very busy. It's got electrical hookups. A lot more hookup jockeys camping than dry campers for sure. Good for me :-)

Edit-Add: And all but one were free sites :-)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else had a campground all to themselves? Other than boondocking that is. I've also had several where it was just the camp host and me.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    PXL, can you specify the locations? They sound great!

We stopped at an out of the way empty CG, off Route 522 heading north out of Taos, NM, right on the Rio Grande.

We'd spotted the public land on a map, it turned out to be Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, and it was time for us to pull over for the day anyway, so we headed for it, toward Wild Rivers Visitor Center on the map.

We drove down a road just north of Questa, through Reservation land. Suddenly the road became nice, as soon as we hit the federal park land. We found Big Arsenic Springs Campground, which was self serve, and I think only $7 per night with the national parks pass.

Gorgeous spacious sites overlooking the river. There were three campgrounds of six or 8 sites each. Big Arsenic had six sites, I think.

Granted, it was March, so that would explain the quiet privacy, but the weather was perfect anyway, so we stayed a while, went down to the river, a good hike, and met the Ranger, a Native man who said he'd 'kept an eye on us from the rim of the canyon, while we climbed down to the river'. He knows his park.

The only amenities at the campsite were shaded picnic tables, but the Ranger let us use the dump facilities and water at the (empty) camp-host's campsite, and I think that was all we needed anyway, and then we were on our way later in the day.

Highly recommended spot.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm jealous....I can't camp for about a month and that won't be in the middle of no where. I want to do that. I'll have to remember in the coming years that the end of August into the beginning of September appears to be a great time for an open spaces camping trip. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    KootenaigirlKootenaigirl Member Posts: 12
    We have been to a couple,of National Forest ones where we were the only occupants. It actually made us a little nervous thinking what do others know that we don't! They were fine though, we were in a tent which probably didn't help with the safety fear. People would drive through but not stay for some reason.
  • Options
    People driving through - Yep, never understand that or in most cases even where they came from.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    We've had a bunch of campgrounds to ourselves, too.  Most recently, it was in North Carolina at Medoc Mountain State Park.  It was a Monday night, but still--it is a short drive off of I-95, so I expected it to be busier.  Love when that happens!!  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Well done, PXLated!
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    Jealous of these epic spots to camp.  I hate going back to work....I cannot believe how much I loved my (our) t@b and camping in it.
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    We camp almost exclusively in Pennsylvania due to the short travel time from our home, the end of the season is a great time and if you go north to "Lands End" or "Wilderness" campgrounds you will be alone, it is scary but fun, it sure gets dark!
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I'd love to see some posts on sites in the SE . I live in Ky near Louisville. Our 4th  month owning our T@B. We've camped twice now at nearby CGs. If this winter proves severe we want to head South especially during the rough times. My son and his fam live in Destin and I can snowbird in his yard but we want to experience some places between here and there. Love to find those free to cheap even boondock camps. Getting ready to install the twin 6volt batts. Got a 100 watt solar too. We're retired 65 +, AAA, Good Sam and have the Nat Park old folks card. Suggestions for Tn, Ala, Ga ?
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    I find them using the UltimateCG (campground) app on my iPhone & iPad - Don't really know you're going to have it to oneself until you get there. But if they're somewhat off the more heavily traveled roads there's a good chance.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    imhad OneMile in Almost, CO to myself, except for the hosts for 3 days. It was really pleasant.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014