Options

NuCamp recall for certain 2023-2024 nuCamp TAB 400, Cirrus 620, and 820's with the Lithium Upgrade

2»

Comments

• Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 78
    I can confirm that our factory Lithium install on our '23 400 uses 2/0 wiring.  I can also confirm that the disconnect switch only turns off the 12v loads.  With my disconnect off my Victron still operates.  The microwave is fully functional with the disconnect in the off position.  This caught me by surprise.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    The microwave on shorepower should work.  Does it work via the inverter with the battery switch off?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited March 14
    @Hammick, thanks for the confirmation of those details. Do you know where the supply for your 12V loads comes from? More specifically, where does the wire on the supply (battery) side of the battery disconnect switch go?
    From your photos in the other discussion, it looks like it might run back to the Victron Multiplus, but I can't tell for sure.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    The microwave on shorepower should work.  Does it work via the inverter with the battery switch off?
    I will double check this but I'm 99% sure I unplugged from shore power when I discovered this.  I was installing an MK3 USB adapter to program my Multiplus and was making sure all power was off.  Was quite surprised the Microwave was still hot.  Turning off the inverter obviously turned off the Microwave but to completely isolate the Multiplus from 12v power the positive battery cable should be removed.  Maybe there is a breaker in the PDP that sends 12v power to the Multi.
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 497
    I'm guessing here, but I think NuCamp must have wired up some trailers having the 400Ah lithium package with the battery switch between the Multiplus and the batteries (these are the ones subject to recall) and some with the battery switch between the Multiplus/Battery combo and the rest of the trailer (which are not subject to the recall).  On my lithium upgrade, I installed both switches, as there are arguments in favor of both locations.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    I think there is a lot of confusion about how the 400ah lithium setups with inverter work.

The WFCO converter/charger is replaced with a distribution panel. The Multiplus is used for charging the batteries and inverting as well as providing 110v power while connected to shore power. The Multiplus DOES NOT convert 110v to 12v.

Essentially the 110v system and 12v systems are isolated. Thus, if you turn off the battery disconnect, you will no longer have 12v power to run the lights and other 12v systems. However, if connected to shore power you will have 110v power to all your outlets.

rh5555 said:
    I'm guessing here, but I think NuCamp must have wired up some trailers having the 400Ah lithium package with the battery switch between the Multiplus and the batteries (these are the ones subject to recall) and some with the battery switch between the Multiplus/Battery combo and the rest of the trailer (which are not subject to the recall).  On my lithium upgrade, I installed both switches, as there are arguments in favor of both locations.
    If the battery disconnect switch is only installed between the Multiplus and the batteries, then you would not be able to isolate the 12v systems in the Tab from the batteries. The battery disconnect needs to be installed between the 12v system and the batteries. A disconnect switch between the batteries and the Multiplus would not disconnect the 12v system from the batteries.
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 497
    @elbolillo - it depends on where the rest of the trailer connects:  If it is wired to the Multiplus, then disconnecting the Multiplus from the batteries will disconnect the 12V system from the batteries.  If it is wired to the batteries, then what you say is true.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    edited March 14
    rh5555 said:
    @elbolillo - it depends on where the rest of the trailer connects:  If it is wired to the Multiplus, then disconnecting the Multiplus from the batteries will disconnect the 12V system from the batteries.  If it is wired to the batteries, then what you say is true.
    Agreed. That's what I'm trying to figure out. My suspicion--inferred from @Hammick's photos and @MuttonChops' schematic--is that the Multiplus features a 12V "pass through" that runs to the 12V distribution panel. I.e., when running on battery (no shore power) battery power runs to to the Multiplus to power the inverter and also passes through to the power center's 12V distribution panel. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not suggesting the Multiplus acts as a converter when on shore power.
    Personally I think @elbolillo's DIY design--where the power center and the Multiplus are wired separately to the battery via a distribution block--is more elegant. But based on the additional red wire coming out of the Multiplus in Hammick's OEM photos, it is clearly different from what nuCamp seems to be doing. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @scottg @rh5555 After looking over @Hammick ´s install photos again, it appears that they are using the Multiplus connections instead of distribution blocks to connect to the battery disconnect. I wasn’t clearly seeing this. An inelegant solution as far as I am concerned. One they probably took so as to not have to install a separate disconnect for the Multiplus.
    edited March 14
    elbolillo said:
    rh5555 said:
    My bad. I see what they are doing now.
    MydogguinnessMydogguinness Member Posts: 2

This is the lithium package in my 2024 TAB400 Boondock Black Canyon. The switch is 400amps and those look like 2wg wires on the batteries and to the switch. The 6wg are on the DC to DC charger I installed.
  • Options
    @Mydogguinness thanks for the photos. Could you provided more photos of the area around the inverter so we can more clearly see how everything was connected. Thanks
    edited March 18
    I called NuCamp today and our '23 TAB 400 is not on the recall list.  So if your Multiplus has power even with the batteries and shore power disconnected you are likely not on the recall list.
  • Options
    This is interesting. Seems like @rh5555's comment of March 14 was spot on. If I'm interpreting the photos correctly, @Hammick's 2023 appears to have the standard disconnect downstream from the Multiplus, while @Mydogguinness' 2024 has a beefier disconnect installed between the batteries and the Multiplus. 
    2015 T@B S