Options

Propane fire pit BTU?

I'm looking to buy a propane fire pit. The one I have my eye on is rated at 40k btu. But I see pits are rated anywhere from 40 to 65k in size.

My question is:
For those who have actual experience. Is 40k sufficient given 40 to 60 degree F ambient temps or do I really need to go to 50k and up? Usually just 2 people around the pit.
AndreO
Ontario, Canada
2018 Tab 400
Ford F150 2.7 Lariat

Comments

• Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    We have the base model Ignik Firecan, rated 38K btus. We find it quite comfy for two and don't turn it up to full flame. I'm sure that what's adequate varies a lot. My wife tends to chill a lot more than I do. I added some of their ceramic stones that absorb and re-radiate heat and that seems to be a worthwhile addition. 

I do find weaknesses in the Ignik product. They use silicone bits on the lid latches that don't fit snugly. The lid doesn't secure nearly as well as a real surplus ammo can. But the form factor is compact and packs well. We carry a separate 11 lb. low profile propane tank for the Firecan to make positioning the fire easy and to avoid burning through the trailer's supply faster than we'd like.
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    @ bjn2 thanks for your advice.

I'm looking at the tailgater-x which is taller but will fit into  my truck's bed nicely and with it's optional grill I could use it for BBQing as well. It does include some stones. However not having any experience with propane  pits makes it hard to know if it is worth the investment. 

https://www.ukiahco.com/products/tailgater-x
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    This will be the third year using the Outland 19” round, 58,000 btu fire pit. We run it about 1/2 capacity and have never used it on high. A 20# tank lasts a week with daily use of a couple of hours. If you camp in colder weather the additional btu’s might be worthwhile.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    edited March 8
    We've been using the Little Red Campfire for 3 yrs now. It's 65,000 BTU. Like that everything is self contained (don't need a cover) and has a handle, hose rolls up inside and is lightweight and doesn't take up much room. Put rubber bumpers on cover to raise it off ground, and keep it level since handle isn't recessed and place campfire on top of it to raise height. I replaced the wire latches with more substation stainless latches. Also put glow in dark tape around lid so don't trip over it in the dark when not using. Perfect for 2 people. Use an 11 lb propane tank with it (same height as 5 lb but width of 20lb tank and fits under my truck tonneau cover). Very happy with setup and has worked flawlessly. https://a.co/d/8x8dw4K

2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I have the Little Red Campfire mentioned above. It's great for having a little campfire when wood fires are prohibited or you just can't be bothered to build a wood fire. 
    I also have a buddy heater, which IMO is better when you're looking to get warm. 
    I decide which to bring depending on the circumstances of a particular camping trip.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    We have the Outland Firecube which has the same 58,000 btu burner as the 19” round but is 14” square. It packs a bit better but is also a bit more expensive. Both are nice. We never run ours on high either. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Can't go wrong with a LavaBox!  We've had one for a few years and it's fantastic and very well built.  Dumped our little red campfire for the LavaBox.  We did not like it too much.   I find the LavaBox much much better, and it's quiet compared to the red campfire.  280,000btu as well!  Also it's a very small made in America company that is local to us so you're not buying from a mass overseas producer.  I've met the owner at a few outdoor shows and he's a great guy.  

https://fireanytime.com/collections/lavaboxes/products/naked-tabletop-vol-can-no
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Brian56Brian56 Member Posts: 13
    We have an Outland Firebowl, 58,000 btu. We live in Texas so it doesn't get really cold often. Use our Solo Stove at night, but the convience of instant start is great for cold mornings. We love the portability. My wife uses it in the back yard when not out camping.
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Dallas, TX Area