Options

Hello from South Florida

tarawa1943tarawa1943 Member Posts: 5
edited March 25 in Introductions
70 year old retiree from South Florida here.  I always wanted to do a little camping at some of my favorite fishing spots.  There are always a few for sale on CL but I want to make sure I get the best for the money.  I worry mostly about floor rot and leaks.  I am thinking that 2018 should be the oldest that I should be looking for.  Better materials maybe? I am still studying the different models.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Welcome and good luck with your search!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Yes, welcome to the group!  I hope you will find just what you are looking for, lots of knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help out.  
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @tarawa1943 the 2017 models (now designated 320's) were the first touted as completely manufactured without wood in the structure. The floor was azdel as well as the side walls. Front to back has a different construction, but still without wood. There are, of course, interior wood cabinets.

My t@b has a manufacture date of April, 2016 and it is a 2017 model which includes those features.

If particularly worried about durability, you might search for a Sofitel model. They have an entirely aluminum skin, both sides and front to back roof. They can get dented, but the exterior shell won't crack or scratch as a result.

Good luck with your quest. IMO they are top of the line, most manageable and most appealing trailers out there, but I admit to being biased as I am 10 years smitten.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    There is a Sofitel model in South Florida for sale. I will try to go to the Gulf side and look at it.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @tarawa1943 we have a list somewhere here on the forum that lists model year and most of the basic features and changes  for that model year. It is not exact as (Pleasant Valley) nüCamp made changes and upgrades throughout the year as features and upgrades became available or were suggested by owners/potential owners.

On the other hand, most of us owners have kept mental track of major changes regarding our own trailers and model years. I seem to remember that the 2016 models had a luan layer in the floor that the vinyl flooring was adhered to, but these are not hard and fast guarantees. Changes were implemented as previous supplies were used up, etc.

Back then, model year change began around or approximately in April. Per my previous post, my 2017 model year trailer was manufactured in April, 2016, but I remember the promotion information regarding the 2017 model year as being the first model year with no wood at all being used in the flooring construction.

However, the Sofitel was considered the top line model. It had a 'marine look' flooring, upgraded upholstery, interior indirect lighting and lighted grab handle next to the entry door, among other things which may be worth considering. 

I haven't heard of major rot issues with the Pleasant Valley/nüCamp manufactured t@bs, which are constructed essentially of aluminum frames and composite materials. The previous U.S. manufacturer of t@bs was Dutchman/Thor and they used wood in the floors and walls as was standard for construction techniques of the time, thus the cautions regarding checking for rot.

Good luck!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    The craziest thing happened today. While looking at a 2019 Boondocks Edge with some slight damage and a rebuilt title, I noticed a text popped up from a friend from across the state.  When I was finished looking, I called him back to see what he wanted.  He needed a part made for his sailboat and asked if I could do it.  After a little small talk I mentioned that I was looking at the Boondock and he said that a good friend of his was selling a small trailer.  He wasn’t sure what it was so he said he would call him for the info.  A few minutes later he called back to tell me that his friend was selling a 2016 Outback.  I called his friend and he said that it is a really lightly used trailer.  The only problem it had was when he was just leaving on his first trip with it, the front window fell out!  He screwed it in place and went on his trip.  I guess I will be heading to the Tampa area next week.  I guess I will be doing a search on windows falling out !