Options

WFCO 8955-AD jumper

RobermcmRobermcm Member Posts: 70
After learning about the WFCO issues with auto detect, I checked out the charging status of my 2023 tab 400 with the battleborn 100ah lithium. The led was ‘green’ and the charge voltage limit was in the 13 volt range versus recommended 14.4v. 

So, I wrote to WFCO and got the ever friendly Shaun technician. He asked me what my software version was, and I could not find it anywhere on the face plate of the charger, even after multiple suggestions from Shaun. He then, oddly, offered that I should not have any problem with my auto detect. I wrote back that I really just wanted the jumper solution based on the forum experiences I’d read from many. Doing what WFCO recommended, didn’t seem to make it sticky to a lithium charging profile. Shaun replied that he’d ship a jumper out that day, which he did! 

Picture attached. No instructions, just the jumper. I guess my email confidence implied skills with the converter. There probably aren’t that many six pin connectors on the circuit boards, right?  The shrink wrapped jumper appears to be a resistor folded in half and pressed into the blade connectors of locations 5 and 6 (marked) of the six pin plug. I didn’t cut off the shrink wrap, but would if asked, before I install it to benefit others with the AD issues. 

My only question is whether there are instructions for jumpering the 8955-AD. I recall instructions for the 8755, I think. 

Thanks all. 
Rob

2023 Tab 400
2015 Audi Q7 TDI
Northern Ohio

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Robermcm said:
    . . .  No instructions, just the jumper. I guess my email confidence implied skills with the converter. There probably aren’t that many six pin connectors on the circuit boards, right?  

For fun I searched the WFCO literature for PCB images of the 8955-AD product.
    The best image (below) has One Six Position Connector location = = J4 = =

Image however does now have the Header installed, mate for the Jumper Plug they shipped you.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited April 11
    Thanks. Good research. Why am I not surprised!  

Which pins do you think are 5 and 6? Based on the double line to the right side of the pcb outline, I’d think that was where your connector had the tall side. If I make my female connector fit (upside down ‘L’) 5 and 6 would be at the top. Is there pcb board convention that might say otherwise? Like ‘1’ starts nearest the connection label of J4?
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    Robermcm said:
    Which pins do you think are 5 and 6?

I have no idea.
    Suggest you open-up the Power Center and inspect the installed PCB . . . it might have the socket.

If not, take a picture and send to WFCO support person that provided the 'jumper' and ask for guidance.

Let us know what you discover/learn.
  • Options
    I’ve yet to install this jumper, but I did put a meter on it to determine what was hiding in the shrink tubing. It’s just a 1k resistor. Pins 5 and 6 jumped with it. 

Waiting to get a little more experience with this new to me tab 400, wfcom8955-AD converter and the 100ah lithium battery. So far the solar keeps it topped up just fine, but I haven’t drawn it down deeply, and in that moment, I’ll want a faster recharge from the converter. Will report anything of interest when I do jump it. 
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I received these pictures from WFCO support on the location of the jumper.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    If enough folks Ask for a Jumper . . .
    Maybe they will put a darn Switch back on the PCB. ;)
  • Options
    @DenisP, is that an 8955-ad or the 8755? I wanted to know how far apart it has to come to add the jumper. As in, can all the terminated wires to all parts of the trailer stay connected, or is there a fair amount of disconnecting necessary to get to it?  Thanks!
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    I spoke to Shaun yesterday about the green light issue with my WF-8955-ad. I asked for detailed pictures showing the location and orientation of the jumper placement. Shaun sent the pictures I posted earlier and he is sending the jumper which I will install once received. I will update my post once it is in place. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    one question i have is whether the nu_camp installed wiring between converter and battery is adequate to support the deep drain lithium charging amperage from this converter once it is indeed running at lithium levels. I’d think nu_camp would be all over that, but there was some chatter about the length of the runs of wiring and whether that was stopping the auto detect from staying at lithium. Over my head, but I’d not want to create unsafe levels of amperage. If my 40 amp battery disconnect breaker is up to installed charging wire amperage capacity, are they both less than the 8955 (as in 55a?) can supply?
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    I received the Jumper today and successfully installed it. The installation is quite straight forward actually.  Tools needed: a phillips screwdriver and a light. Make sure to turn off the 12 volt cutoff switch  Step one: remove the trim cover (two phillips screws).  Step two: remove the two screws holding the converter on lower front of the power center.  Step three: carefully slide the converter out and expose the back by turning it slightly toward the bed. Step four: locate the pins for the jumper shown in the picture from my previous post. Step five:insert the jumper as shown in the picture from my previous post.
    Step six: slide the converter back in place and secure withe the two screws.  Step seven: Turn on 12 volt power and check for blue light. Step eight: replace and secure the trim cover.
    Total time to complete the jumper insertion (converter to Lithium) 10 minutes
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited April 25
    I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know what you mean by 12v cut-off switch. There’s a glaso 40a breaker that separates the wfco converter from the batteries. There’s the battery to 12v appliances twist switch. I’d have both those off as a matter of naive caution. Am I close?

Thanks for the install details. Easier than I’d ever hoped!  Will try it soon. Love that blue light. 
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    The twist switch is what I called the cutoff switch.  You are being double safe which is always a good approach.  After completing the install, it was easier than I was anticipating.  Good luck, you should be fine.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts